Author Topic: Another polytunnel question - types of plastic  (Read 1797 times)

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
Another polytunnel question - types of plastic
« on: January 01, 2008, 15:05:16 »
Hello and happy new year to everyone.

I'm thinking of treating myself to a polytunnel soon and having read all of the other threads on here about polytunnels it seems that some people think there may be a problem with condensation.  I think I've found the tunnel that I want at a reasonable price (although if anyone knows of any tunnel bargains I'd be glad to hear about them) but I can pay extra to get different types of covering - some are supposedly better for combating blight, some are more insulated etc. 

Has anybody tried these and do they work?  Or are they just trying to sweet talk tunnel virgins like me?

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
Re: Another polytunnel question - types of plastic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 16:22:28 »
Hi Greenstar, I have just ordered my plastic from here

http://www.nationalpolytunnels.co.uk/

(I too am a polytunnel virgin!)

They were helpful on the phone and pointed me to the plastic that will suit my requirements!  May be worth a call,

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Pigletwillie

• Quarter Acre
    • Hilltop Adventures Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:48 »
Both of mine have anti fogging plastic which helps to stop condensation. Do go for a high light transmision plastic but steer clear from clear films which let too much light in and can cause scorching and too much heat build up.

Most of the big companies websites state clearly which are their best sellers and unless you have special requirements, these are the ones to go for.

greenstar

• Half Acre
  • Glasgow
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 16:42:40 »
Thanks for the replies (and PMs) - I think I'm going to spend the bit extra and go for the posh plastic.  As me mam says, you buy cheap, you pay dear...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal