Author Topic: left everything too late - what now!  (Read 1172 times)

marcusexeter

• Not So New ...
left everything too late - what now!
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:23:35 »
oh dear - I have the Garlic strill in the shed and the winter onion sets and the broad beans - is it too late now? The onion sets have sprouted a bit!! shall I stick them in and see what happens or shall I wait ? are winter onions sets ( Radar) ok for using next year ?

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: left everything too late - what now!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 09:37:58 »
No it is not too late.Garlicn eeds to go in soonest but lots of time for your onions and broad beans yet.

No doubt someone else will dissagree.

Its far too wet here to even get on the plot never mind plant anything.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

angle shades

• Hectare
  • Lincoln,Lincolnshire
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 10:17:00 »
 :) I've done exactly the same marcus, ::) but it's not to late for broadbeans or garlic (it is for mine, my garlic has gone mouldy and rotten >:()

Radar onion sets should be planted in September... mine went in on Thursday ::) :P( I threw the soft and sprouting ones out)...they should be harvested May/June, here's hoping they grow ... we will get spring onions if nothing else.......
grow your own way

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 11:15:05 »
Personally I'd bin the onion sets & buy some for planting now (actually, I'd buy shallots). Same amount of work & they're meant for now so more likely to succeed. I'd still have a go with the garlic & Broadies... Good luck!

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 11:17:23 »
yes i agree get them in the ground, i was given an extra bulb of purple garlic from a fellow alloment holder in November and forgot about it till last week. The lots gone into peat pots by the shed so that hey get some frost and there in a tray with holes so there not sitting in water. Found some onions
and there gone in a simular tray.

I will plant them into a perminant bed when its warmer but they will get a frost and start growing in the mean time. As there in peat pots there should be minimum root damage.

So go for it!! What have you got to loose???

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 12:47:08 »
Go for it my son, as Cam says what have you got to loose.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 17:35:52 »
It's a bit late for overwintering onions. I once planted them in early December, and they did nothing. I think they need to have their roots established before winter. Garlic will be fine now, the sooner the better. Plant the BB's in March and they'll be perfectly happy, though the crop will obviously be a bit later. I ignore blackfly and still get a good crop.

marcusexeter

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 19:47:42 »
thank you all for uour replies - much appreciated!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal