Author Topic: spuds orded  (Read 5545 times)

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
spuds orded
« on: December 29, 2007, 21:25:22 »
Last week i orded my spuds for next year.the varieties are;arran pilot
                                                                                               kestrel
                                                                                               vitelotte noir
Does anyone have expierence with one of these?

markyb23

• Half Acre
  • Bloke from Stoke
Re: spuds orded
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:19:44 »
Hi Ruud. I've tried Arran Pilot a couple of times, but, never had much joy with it on my North Midland, moderately clayey soil. Having said that, one or two of the older blokes reckon it's the bees knees.
  Kestrel seems to be one of the most reliable spuds going. I've never tried vitelotte noir. Is it a new variety? :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2007, 12:45:13 »
Another vote for Kestrel Ruud.    ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 13:13:08 »
Mark what do they mean bees knees,is that something about pollination.My soil is sandy so maybe arran pilot will grow better on it.Vitelote noir is a french one it is a purple one,also inside purple coloured.

asbean

• Hectare
  • Winchester, Hants
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2007, 13:47:25 »
We grew Arran Pilot in 2005 and 2006, was quite successful (i.e. plenty of spuds) but none of us can remember what they tasted like!
The Tuscan Beaneater

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2007, 16:00:55 »
The taste will vary with each garden, I used to grow Arran Pilot but as an early it does get large very quickly. I always grow Kestrel in our soil it gives a good crop and cooks well.

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2007, 16:02:18 »
I grew Picasso & Roseval last year - very impressed by both (even though the Roseval were got at by the slugs). Charlotte's good too, and Belle de Fontenay's very tasty. Agree about Kestrel. Never grown Arran Pilot - from the comments I don't think I'll bother.
My current favourite early is Lady Chrystl, although for years it was Home Guard.

bedrockdave

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2007, 19:56:52 »
rudd
  "Bees knees" just means they are very good, I don't understand why it means that either

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2007, 20:11:24 »
rudd
  "Bees knees" just means they are very good, I don't understand why it means that either

For 'Bee's knees' read 'Business'.   :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

Rhys

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 09:34:00 »
Aaron Pilot are my favourite early, grown on sandy soil - no other early tastes better for me.

Kestrel make the most fantastic chips - very crispy.

Sparkly

• Hectare
    • Flixton Band (Manchester)
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2007, 13:37:16 »
We grew aaron pilot last year and I was impressed and shall grow them again.

RobinOfTheHood

• Hectare
  • South Yorks
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2007, 14:06:15 »
I've grown Arran Pilot for the last 2 years, and will continue to do so.   :)
I hoe, I hoe, then off to work I go.

http://tapnewswire.com/

forestry.guy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2008, 12:06:04 »
Hi all

I ordered my Spuds  back in august for delivery in feb i went for

Anya
Sarpo Axona

this is my second  year witht he plot and suffered blight badly last year and these are meant to be resistant.

Ian
This is my first year with the allotment.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2008, 12:15:35 »
In at Easter Anya can be out by the end of July, which will miss the blight in many areas!
 ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2008, 13:31:17 »
hiya, forestry.guy, welcome to the site, last year we did swift in the poly, very early, ulster prince 1st early outside, lovely taste, kestrel, 2nd early  and desiree grew as main but, due to flooding, pulled up in july..our problem's usually slugs and they don't seem to like red spuds  ;D

Distinctly Minty

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2008, 11:51:29 »
Hi, what a great forum and a great wealth of knowledge for a newbie like myself.
I got a little excited and have bought mine already and are set out to chit in the spare room. Varities i bought were.
Aran Pilot
Maris Peer
Charlotte
Maris Piper
Desiree
Pink Fir Apple
 Do you think i have bought them too early and would love your opinions on my choices. Thanks Minty X

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2008, 13:22:38 »
Hi Minty. You're right to get them off chitting straight away, and no, you're not too early. Mine haven't arrived yet, or I'd be doing the same.

Might I suggest that it may be a tad warm for them in the house, unless your spare room is unheated. I chit mine in the lottie shed, on a high shelf out of the reach of mice. They don't mind the cold, and are fine as long as you cover them up when frost is forecast.

It's worth giving the shoots a light foliar spray with a weak seaweed solution, once a week. Any liquid fertiliser will suffice, but they do like the seaweed!
This results in stronger and healthier shoots, and seems to get the spuds off to a flying start. Don't drench them though, or rot may set in.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008, 13:27:50 »
Hello and Welcome to Minty and Forestry Guy.

Happy Spudding  ;D

Lauren
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

Distinctly Minty

« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 13:36:18 »

Hi Rob thanks for the advice.The seed potatoes are set out to chit in a unheated bedroom so hope they will be ok as it is very cool in there.
Did think of putting them in my shed at the allotment but it is a very old windy cold old thing so thought it better at home(where i can excitedly keep checking them every hour, really must get out more).

As you can see my choice is a mix of earlies, second earlies, salad and maincrop.

I was hoping to get the earlies and salad in at the end of Feb and the second earlies mid march. When would you recommend putting the main crop in ? my assumption is about the begining of April, but they would have chits the size of palm trees by then wouldn`t they ?????

Thanks for the welcome Lauren, great to be here..
 Thanks Minty X

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 13:42:23 »
I do like your avatar, Lauren. Where did you come across it? :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal