Author Topic: can I freeze without blanching  (Read 17886 times)

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
can I freeze without blanching
« on: December 21, 2007, 13:36:48 »
I blanched some caulis last year and they didn't look to grand when I got them out the freezer to cook  at a later date.  :-[

Having just dug out all my parsnips this morning - would it be OK to freeze them and other stuff without blanching.  ??? ???
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Larkspur

• Acre
Re: can I freeze without blanching
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2007, 13:49:17 »
Hi we never blanch anything and it all seems to keep OK, though I am sure keen blanchers would disagree ;) :D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2007, 14:04:22 »
Blanching ostensibly increses freezer life,I`m pretty cavalier about it and am still here to tell the tale. But why one should have lifted one`s parsnips already puzzles me

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2007, 14:05:13 »
Blanching stops any enzymic browning so the stuff keeps its colour better but we never bother..
 :-X

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2007, 17:59:04 »
I'm with Cleo, pick the parsnips as you need them thats what I shall do anyway, its that cold its the best place for them.   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 18:54:18 »
the only thing we use frozen cauli for is cauliflower cheese and soups and stews, I find it doesn't freeze as well as broccoli and calabrese :)
don't blanch much any more  ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2007, 19:18:06 »
Blanching ostensibly increases freezer life,I`m pretty cavalier about it and am still here to tell the tale. But why one should have lifted one`s parsnips already puzzles me
They started to get a brown rust colour on the skin, (soft complexion as you do with bruised apples.) I was told it was the onset of rot. Once peeled they looked fine on the inside.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2007, 19:22:26 »
The only thing I don't blanch is corn on the cob, I freeze it in it's natural jacket and microwave it in the same .

I did a test a few years ago with the same day pickings of several veggies, some blanched, some not, and all frozen on the same day. There was no comparison between them, the difference was amazing, the colours on the broc were the difference between emerald green and sage green and the cauli remained creamy white rather than the unblanched which turned an awful yellow colour.

I am a definate blancher.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2007, 21:24:52 »
Ooooh, Miss Dubois!

;D
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2007, 09:28:32 »
I'm with Cleo, pick the parsnips as you need them thats what I shall do anyway, its that cold its the best place for them.   ;D ;D ;D

Apart from the mouses build their houses inside mine when left in the ground! Well, a slight exageration., but they did eat them from inside last year. The little rotters. Well, munchers.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2007, 10:28:11 »
I froze some sprouts without blanchung last week, ready for Christmas dinner. I presume it's best to cook from frozen? Never had enough before.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2007, 11:14:51 »
Caroline, they will be fine if you are using them for Christmas, the problems come with longer storage times.XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal