Author Topic: Comp entries, Pic Format 'v' size  (Read 6778 times)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Comp entries, Pic Format 'v' size
« on: December 20, 2007, 12:55:33 »
This question has been asked via a PM but no doubt others have also wondered, so, here's the question and a simple explanation. Maybe others out there can explain it better.

"Hello,
Any chance of portrait pics getting 480 x 640 so it proportionally the same size as the landscape format but tall ways on? Seems a bit unfair for them to be only half the size!
Cheers"

Most of the portrait pics sent in have already been reduced to the size you see. Larger pic's I reduce to 640x480 or as near as possible. Any coming in at that size are simply transfered directly 'as is'.
I can't 'play around' with entries by increasing their size or format. I can only attempt to make things as equal as possible by reducing some of the larger ones.
There is also something of a quirk at work to consider. If you rotate a landscape into a portrate, you'll find for the picture, to remain proportianal, changes have taken effect. So far as I understand it, it's a pixel thing and if it didn't happen, things like round objects would no longer be round. There is a far more techno explanation I read awhile back and if there's real interest I'll dig it out.

Ideally, pictures submitted would be best sent with the size 640x480 for direct copying into the competition.
Ken.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2007, 10:53:59 by kenkew »

ducksfeet

• Not So New ...
  • Quack!
Re: Comp entries, Pic Format 'v' size
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2007, 21:58:07 »
I'll own up, it was me! My comp 4 was sent out 480 x 640 so i was dissapointed to see it just over half size looses some of its impact.

Ducksfeet.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2007, 22:08:21 »
The pic was posted at original size. that is, 640x480, but you're right, there has been a loos of width....I'm going to do some test posts off line. Get back to you with the results. It seems to happen with portrait shots that the height remains but the width is reduced. Hang about, I'll see what happens.
Thanks, Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2007, 22:21:19 »
It does seem a quirk of digital format. The pic's here are both the same one. Both are the same size but the second one has been 'portraited'...due to that, the arrangement of pixels and the size has changed.
 Try it with your own pic's at home. If there's an answer let me know.
Thanks, good question, Ken.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 22:24:45 by kenkew »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2007, 22:25:57 »
The 3rd pic is the same one rotated back again...notice the changes.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2007, 11:00:43 »
This was shot in portrait. size 450x600

but comes out at 360x480. Don't know why. Something to have a look at! Only happens with this mode, landscape isn't affected.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2007, 11:02:45 by kenkew »

ducksfeet

• Not So New ...
  • Quack!
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2007, 21:21:52 »
Hello,

When does the distortion take place? I sent my shot in portrait format already so it didn't have to be rotated. Is it posting to the forum that changes it? What do you use to re size the shots for the site?

Cheers

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2007, 10:21:26 »
Rotate a 640x480 pic to portrait and you get a 480x640 pic. That's fine. But on downloading the size reduces to 360x480. So it happens during download.
I rarely ever have to reduce comp pics in portrait as the size is almost always below 640x480. It's only when the pic comes in at megabite sizes that I need to reduce them. When I do reduce landscape formats which are too big, I constantly get 640x480 as the end result.
Reducing a mega size portrait also comes out at 480x640 and is stored at that size, but as I say, it reduces during download for some reason.

Still looking into it...I'll try downloading a test of a mega size portait. Back later.
Ken.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2007, 10:42:47 »
Well, every portrait I'v downloaded is displayed as 360x480 be it downloaded at that size, reduced from 1.4meg to 640x480 or to 800x600 or to 576x768 or 1024x768.
 I have been able to increase physical size but what that's doing to quality I can't say.
Still working on it. Maybe others would like to test a download here stating above the pic, the size it was at download?
Ken.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2007, 13:31:31 »
Well, every portrait I'v downloaded is displayed as 360x480 be it downloaded at that size, reduced from 1.4meg to 640x480 or to 800x600 or to 576x768 or 1024x768.
 I have been able to increase physical size but what that's doing to quality I can't say.
Still working on it. Maybe others would like to test a download here stating above the pic, the size it was at download?
Ken.

Are you saying the display size changes when you view it on your PC or just on this message board?

I downloaded your dolls house image and it doesn't matter what way I rotate it the only thing that changes is the orientation, size and quality and pixel count remain the same.

If the latter then may I suggest that it's the software running this board, namely SMF 1.1.4 that may be causing he problem.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2007, 16:11:55 »
Hi Plot,
My 'puter orientation keeps the size and pixels, as yours seems to.
Must be something in the download to site.
I'd be interested in seen a test similar to mine from you if possible in here?

Thanks, Ken.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 16:50:28 »
I'd be interested in seen a test similar to mine from you if possible in here?.

I would gladly do that for you if only I could suss out how to attach images to this post. Hang on a mo...

Landscape

Portrait

Which confirms my initial suspicions, it's definitely the software that's running this board, SMF, that's causing the resizing of the images.

Both images are being taken from a public gallery, the originals of which can be seen <a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb42/m0awb/?action=view&current=landscape.jpg" target="_blank">HERE.[/url] Compare the two photo's and you'll see they are exactly the same size albeit a different orientation. So I would say, without doubt, the corruption is being caused by the BBS software.

There maybe a setting for display width or some other setting somewhere, maybe a column setting that resizes taller images to allow two columns. But never having used SMF I couldn't tell you where.

Not sure if that's much help but I am pretty sure it's not the fault of the image or the poster of said image.

Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

ducksfeet

• Not So New ...
  • Quack!
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 23:18:52 »
Hello Everyone,

looks like a CSI investigation, thanks for taking the time to figure this out! Even better if a solution can be found. Maybe worth putting it to Dan? He's not bad on the tech stuff!

Cheers

DF

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2007, 10:49:05 »
Looks like it's something we have to live with, at least for the time being.

To be honest, If I were a voter this wouldn't influence the way I vote and I'm sure that's true for everyone else. There's more to a pic's content than size or orientation and the photo section is primarily a fun and interesting addition to the main purpose of the site. . but I admit, it's a bu**er posting something and seeing it come out 'not as posted.' That's life, eh?

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2007, 11:39:04 »
Looks like it's something we have to live with, at least for the time being.

I've managed to pinpoint the exact problem for you. When you add an image with the IMG command the BBS software automatically changes the IMG tag adding size limitations. I tried uploading a 640x640 image and it was still restricted. I tried editing the tag but it automatically reverted back.

"[img width=480 height=480]"

Look for yourself next time you try uploading an image.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 11:51:56 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 11:44:37 »
Took me a mo or two to figure out what you did....! ;)

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 12:13:21 »

What I've done is downloaded SMF and I'm now trawling through all the config files looking for the setting you need to change... Buggered if I can find it though!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 12:48:14 by Plot69 »
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 12:47:26 »

Well here's what you, or someone with the relevant privileges needs to do. Run ModSettings and change the max permitted width and height. It's actually in the "Basic settings" section and it should be as simple as that.

If I'm correct, (And there is absolutely NO guarantee that I am) that should correct the problem.
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2007, 15:30:52 »
Surely that's only going to allow larger files? As it stands, is quite possible to submit a pic of hugh size so increasing height and width won't, as I see it, make any difference.
 Your copy of my 'villa' added extra width to the pic left to right but without increasing the actual subject.
Lanscapes at 640x480 don't have a problem, it only affects portrate. No, I think there's another solution.

Hang on...I'm going to this.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 15:33:20 by kenkew »

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2007, 15:36:05 »
« Last Edit: December 29, 2007, 15:38:30 by kenkew »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal