Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 11591 times)

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Introducing myself
« on: September 21, 2003, 18:16:10 »
Hi everyone,

Not only am I a newbie here, but I'm a novice pond owner!  :)  I have so many questions to ask. I've been reading the posts and looking at the piccies, so my first question is: how do you keep the pond water so clear? I have a sack of barley straw suspended, but although the water is a little clearer than it was in high summer, I still can't see the bottom of the pond.

My pond is very small - only 170cm x 103cm. I have eight goldfish in it (did have 12, seagull got 1 and the other 3 succumbed during the heatwave). There is one waterlily (firecrest), some water hyacinths which I also have had to thin out twice already and lots of duckweed and oxygenators. Recently, when pulling out some of these plants which have spread so rapidly, I've seen small black snails. Are these good?  There is also a very tall - over 3' - pickerel plant. I shall get rid of it later because it is too tall for my small pond.

Since the pond is in the middle of a paved area I couldn't get electricity to it very easily, so I bought a sonar fountain when the pond was dug in April. Because of the lovely summer, it has proved very reliable - or should I say the sunny days have!! ;)

Anyway - if anyone can give me advice it would be appreciated.

Tricia
a newbie delighted to have followed a link to this board - great stuff! :D
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 01:31:38 »
Hi Tricia.
and welcome to the board. It has been a difficult year for pools and ponds I suffered with blanket weed.
Many things like greenaway to clear the water also sludge buster to clean pools its clumps the rubbish so makes it easier to remove.
May be worth thinking of a pump and filter for the comming year this takes all the fish waste and waste food out of the pool also helps to keep the water clean.
It can take a while for a pool/pond to settle so dont worry too much this year as long as the fish are happy.
on this board we have leggless who is a qualified fish farmer and margaret who has had fish for years I have had koi now for four years and still learning.
I would leave your plants alone untill next  spring then attack them. ;)
Teresa
« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal