Author Topic: Finding an Allotment in London  (Read 3592 times)

Rob08

• Acre
    • One Voice in Cyberspace
Finding an Allotment in London
« on: November 04, 2007, 15:02:12 »
Hi All,

I am moving (back) to London in February 08 and will be staying centrally (Soho area).  I am on the waiting list for an allotment with Camden Borough (apparently I can expect to wait around 16 years for a plot to come free) and I am considering taking a plot in Hounslow as I was told there are plenty to be had out that way.

Would any of you know if there are free plots located closer to the city centre?

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Re: Finding an Allotment in London
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 20:37:34 »
Hi Rob

I have an allotment in Isleworth (LB Hounslow) and although our site has a waiting list, the sites in Hounslow do not.  Both sites are equal walking distance from Hounslow BR, assuming that you are not driving??  I'm not familiar with the site at Hounslow Avenue but I do know that there is a strong community around Inwood Road and there has been a big drive to clean up the area and reduce vandalism.

I think finding vacancies closer to the centre of town is pretty unlikely but perhaps shorter waiting lists than Camden.  Have you tried Hackney or how about volunteering at Spitalfields City Farm - not far from Brick Lane.  Greenwich might be a pain to get to, but have you tried there? and it looks like Newham and Tower Hamlets might be worth a try.

Hope that helps

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2007, 21:48:05 »
Thank you for the information - I will make enquiries of the other boroughs that you have mentioned. 

I will take the Hounslow option if nothing else is available come February, but am reluctant to do so for two reasons - 1.  the travel time from central London and 2. the risk of vandalism in that area.

There are not many allotment sites in Dublin, but the few that there are manage to be on the edge of extremely rough neighbourhoods, with a correspondingly high rate of vandalism, theft and intimidation, which is why I do not have an allotment here.  I see no point in walking into the same situation in London, no matter how much having an allotment means to me.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 08:57:55 »
Hi Rob

Although Hounslow has its problems, I wouldn't call it rough!

I suggest you take a walk around Inwood Road and decide for yourself.  I agree that the travel is likely to be the thing that wears you down and for that reason, while you are on a waiting list for a plot a bit closer to home, it would be worth giving serious consideration to volunteering - they are a great bunch!

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 13:11:26 »
Hi Rob

Although Hounslow has its problems, I wouldn't call it rough!

I suggest you take a walk around Inwood Road and decide for yourself.  I agree that the travel is likely to be the thing that wears you down and for that reason, while you are on a waiting list for a plot a bit closer to home, it would be worth giving serious consideration to volunteering - they are a great bunch!

Thanks for that.  I will take a look around when I am over at the end of November.  Would be interested in the volunteering anyway so will make enquiries there as well.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 13:13:43 »
Good luck with that Rob..
 :)

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007, 10:28:19 »
Good luck with that Rob..
 :)

Thanks!

I am quite excited about all of this I have to say.  I have a huge collection of seedstock that I have been waiting to try (some for a few years already) so having an allotment is close to a dream come true for me.

Rob08

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 15:51:43 »
Well, after an extensive webtrawl I have established that there will be nothing available in my area for a good few years at least (but I am on the waiting list).

I did find however that the people who look after the Hounslow sites are very approachable and helpful.  I can get plots there no problem and was told to contact them again when I arrive in the UK - they will send out the paperwork and she said there would be no waiting to get the plot(s).

The Inwood Road area that SMP suggested looking at has two different sites on it - so I will take a stroll down there when I am over next week just to see where they are exactly.  The good thing about Inwood Road is that it is pretty much equidistant between the tube station and the overland rail station, so acccessibility from central London should not be a problem at all.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 16:36:06 »
Hi Rob

Glad you felt welcomed by the staff at CIP.  Good luck at Inwood, I hope you find a plot that suits you.

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 16:43:01 »
Hi Rob08 - it just occurred to me: have you thought about looking to the South / South East - e.g. along the Bakerloo, Northern or even BR Lines from Charing Cross?

cliffe.kent

• Not So New ...
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 16:25:03 »
Have you thought about out of town as we are only 30 miles from London. Garden at weekends; have a shed and make a day of it? Our plots are full size need a bit of work but will be productive as soil is good. Rich loam and can get a supply of farmyard or horse fetiliser from nearby. In country but near town, friendly other holders.

Bryan

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 20:40:12 »
Hi Rob08, i have an allotment in Hounslow, right by Heathrow airport, nearest underground is Hatton Cross, and there are plenty of plots available there. I have a double plot myself, and just about to take on my third. Will have one big treble plot to deal with. Each plot is 10 rods approx, and i take it you got info from the CIP regarding lotties in the area.
If you need any assistance send me a mail and i will help if i can,
good luck, Bryan.
Don't worry about tomorrow, or yesterday, just think about today.

jamesthehat

• Not So New ...
  • plough the fields and scatter
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2007, 15:48:54 »
how bizzare.Look at the post ive just put in about london urban allotments and youll be very happy

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2007, 19:19:33 »
Sorry Rob, just spotted this thread. I live in Camden and will die before I can get a plot there.  Try Brent - that's where my plot is. Several sites in the Cricklewood/ North circular area.
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal