Author Topic: The price of being a responsible pet owner  (Read 1579 times)

cocopops

• Acre
The price of being a responsible pet owner
« on: December 19, 2007, 19:06:58 »
We wanted to have both cats and dogs that got on well together.  We have one 'old lady' cat, Loomy, so we decided to have all the new additions close together.  We took on two unwanted pups (male), and the same amount of kittens (female).  They all get on brilliantly, even after six months of having the last one. 

We understood at the time that we would need to pay for them to be neutered etc., so we think we are pleased with the price, but I can sort of understand why some of the locals here on very low wages don't.  Unlike the British they do not understand the love and devotion we pour on our pets.  There is no PDSA, and the local SPA (equivalent of the RSPCA) are not interested as there are so many unwanted kittens and puppies.

Anyway, we decided that it was time to go the vets to ensure that we had no unwanted kittens, or the dogs did not try to breed with the six un-neutered bitches next door.  As we are in the UK for Christmas the woofers are booked in for the castration on the 4th Jan.  We needed done:-

2 x kitten neutering inc. dressing change and stitches removal (3 visists)
2 x antibiotics as a followup
1 x injection for kitten with temperature post-op
pack of 6 flea frontline for cats ( didn't know they had them)
4 x microchips (a legal requirement in France, else tattoo)
2 x vaccination for pups

The cost should have been in sterling £540 but the vet let us pay only £309.

I am happy that we are almost done but I realise that being a responsible pet owner, even with a great vet, comes at a price.

Happy Christmas, Cocopops

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: The price of being a responsible pet owner
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2007, 22:07:53 »
It can be very costly indeed. You have been very lucky your vet has been 'good' to you. I have no medical insurance on mine, 2 cats and 2 dogs. Up to now they have been healthy and have not needed any treatment apart from the neutering, de-fleaing and worming.

I think if you can afford insurance its better, wish I could. I hope proper feeding and excersise will keep them all in tip top condition for a long time yet.

Have a lovely xmas break over here ;D
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

SnooziSuzi

• Acre
  • ~ Su in Durham~
Re: The price of being a responsible pet owner
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2007, 22:09:57 »
....There is no PDSA, and the local SPA (equivalent of the RSPCA) are not interested as there are so many unwanted kittens and puppies.

Isn't that the whole point to why they should be interested!  ::)

Well done you on having this done.  As you have said, a lot of people don't see the benefit in doing this, but you'll have ensured that none of yours will be responsible for the local baby boom!
SnooziSuzi
Acting my shoe size, not my age!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal