Author Topic: burn it or compost it  (Read 2519 times)

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
Re: burn it or compost it
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2007, 18:50:40 »
Burn it then spread the ash around your fruit bushes and trees
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2007, 20:05:18 »
Skep making details here. The finished product should be strong enough to be sat on safely.

http://www.beedata.com/data2/skeps.html

Ceratonia

• Acre
  • Cambridge
    • Personal (non-allotment) blog
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2007, 16:36:50 »
Regarding saving the planet though, it makes no difference whether the biomass is burnt or composted. It's still a short cycle to be reclaimed by the new growth.

Is that generally true? I'm not a soil scientist or ecologist, but I'd have guessed that adding organic matter to the soil would lock in a certain amount of carbon - even if the soil ends up being blown/washed away as silt.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 17:23:45 »
Generally yes. Don't forget that the system operates globally and on a far grander time scale than we comprehend. De-forestation and urban sprawl are problems because once cut and cleared, they are not replaced. It's not the cutting of the trees that is a problem, it's the failure to replace them.

When a plot is cleared of brambles, hopefully the plotholder immediately sets about planting new plants that will absorb their share. Burning or composting both release carbon to the atmosphere mostly in the form of co2, a bonfire taking 2-3 hours while the composting process takes 2-3 years maybe to complete. Nothing compared to driving to the lottie in the car burning fossil fuel 100s of millions of years old.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal