Author Topic: Witloof  (Read 1474 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Witloof
« on: July 05, 2004, 13:07:46 »
Ina, and all other witloof/chicory growers out there.  Just wanted to report in that I have a row of witloof growing nicely - resembles dandilions....or am I growing a nice row of dandilions?!?  Just wanted to check really - should I be feeding them up with anything, or just ignore them?  Also, when do I start digging to dry the roots ready for forcing?  I seem to remember you were gobbling yours up christmas time.   ;D

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re:Witloof
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 17:27:14 »
Dandelions?-are they from the seed I sent?. Don`t tell me I need another eye test and sent `frisee` instead ;D.

Mirth aside just let them grow and start lifting around late November-but one is not thinking about the winter just yet.

Stephan

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re:Witloof
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 22:04:54 »
I agree EJ, they do look a bit like dandilions in the beginning. Don't let Stephan get your goat by making you think you sowed dandilions hahahaha (or frisee, whatever that is, lettuce?).
I don't feed them but if it get very dry, I will give them some water on occasion.
Like Stephan said, don't lift before november, you need roots as thick as possible and that takes time.
Mine are coming along nicely too, maybe 15 cm tall.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal