Author Topic: Impatient but glad..  (Read 4927 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Impatient but glad..
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:42:47 »
Although I promised to give my Potatoes another week before I started to dig them.. I gave into temptation and ended up digging 4 plants to use for sunday dinner...Is my first real taste of my labours and what a difference in taste!  Am I ever going to be able to eat Potatoes bought from a supermarket again?  

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re:Impatient but glad..
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 10:44:45 »
Had they not been nice, it would not necessarily have been your fault. We have ditched most of a row of Red Duke of York as being sub-standard. = Tim

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 11:03:39 »
Thats a real shame!   I must say that I was slightly dissapointed with the amount of Potatoes for each plant... Not really sure what I expected.!  The taste did make up for it though.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 11:37:08 »
Tim, I must admit that I have been dissapointed with our Red Duke of York. They look stunning but they don't seem to cook so well, I think they'll only be good for mash really. The tops have gone over as well, I don't think that they really came back after the wind the other week. Are they generally a tasty potato? I hope so as I have a late crop coming along in pots.

The Nicola are much better, they are an improvement on the shop bought.

Adam, how many are you feeding? 1 plant is sufficient for 3 of us.

Jeremy

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 11:45:51 »
My Red DoY (from Tim  :-*) were delicious. The tastiest potatoes I have ever eaten (my first ever homegrown ones). All 3onces of them, that is!
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 12:17:10 »
DB - yes - &, like so many reds, pest resistant. But NOT blight resistant!! Forgot to repeat that we had already taken the haulms off the RDY because of early blight. Like 2 June!! = Tim

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2004, 13:04:35 »
Jeremy,

I would say that one plant is not really enough for 2 people...Although I was told to wait until the flowers have died until I dig them. So maybe a week or so will see a larger tuber..
Ad

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004, 13:11:38 »
Our RDoY are a bit piddly, so I stopped digging them and started on the Catriona, now they are a good cropper and mightly tasty!  Some did go a bit flourery in boiling, but the majority stayed firm and creamy and there was more than enough for 4 of us from one plant!  Guess I should see what the RDoY are doing - they are all still growing well, even though I haven't watered at all!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2004, 13:46:51 »
I haven't had any flowers off my RDoY, just buds, which have been there time enough for the other varieties to bud and flower.

I dug my first ones too early and was dissappointed with the quantitiy, waited a few weeks and there are lots now. I planted at the end of March (probably  ???) and have only been digging the last 3 weeks or so.

Jeremy

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 15:33:08 »
Flowers??
They really don't seem to tell you anything about earlies. If you look back on my 'what do you expect' thing, there was hardly a flower in sight.

What I want to know is - how do the things grow at all when the soil is like this a spit down?? We should really be more amazed that we get anything? = Tim

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 15:35:39 »
Tim - think yourself lucky - mine is worse than that from the top. That's why I'm so very grateful for Mr Aqui and his strong digging arms!
gone to pot :D

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 18:04:52 »
Didn't say what I meant - that is the top lot!!

But, since some say that they get moisture from a spit down, I checked.
Just like this lot. Except for one end where it is solid yellow clay. = Tim.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 18:05:43 by tim »

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2004, 12:04:01 »
My RDoY went to my mother's - didn't get a chance to taste, but think she was happy with them.
Finished all the first earlies now. Going to wait a week or so before starting on the second earlies.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2004, 12:19:38 »
Don't they go quickly?? = Tim

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2004, 13:44:17 »
My first earlies have all been eaten - delicious.  I generously gave a goodly amount to son and wife.  His wife was amazed that I could pull spuds up! Also surprised that they were dirty. She's from Seoul (Korea) and is not a country girl!  She came round yesterday and dug up her own dinner - probably amazing her relatives with the story!!!  Apparently, some Koreans believe that spuds grow on trees.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2004, 14:24:57 »
Ha ha... I wonder how many kids nowadays actually know where most Veg come from.!  I am sure my kids think meat is grown in Cellophane Wrap.

gavin

• Hectare
  • Good gardening!
    • Growing Vegetables on an Allotment in Leeds
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2004, 21:37:32 »
Chuckle - try some of the housing estates in Leeds!

Walking down the road with a barrowload of new potatoes - and had a furious argument with neighbours' kids.  They would NOT believe that I'd dug the potatoes out of the ground.

My one mistake - making them taste some of the other veg in the barrow-load.  For months afterwards, they'd hang around on a Sunday afternoon, and "hijack" whatever else I was bringing home!

All best - Gavin

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2004, 13:17:41 »
I dug about 7 plants of each and this is what I turned out.

Shan't bother with RDoY next year - very low yeild compared to the catriona next to it, and the Pentland Javelin, well, I would say almost 4 times as many as that whole tray in a similar area !

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2004, 15:37:20 »
all of my seed potatoes (about 5 varieties in all) got mixed up by my son so I just chucked them into the ground.  I have no idea what are earlies or mains etc.  but I have now started to dig them up working down the rows and so far they are gorgeous although I only get one meal from each plant.

Does anyone know if this is a problem - can mains be eaten as new potatoes?  Storing is not going to be a problem as I only have 3 rows so they will all be eaten long before the winter!

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2004, 19:22:57 »
Hi everyone,got my catrionas out of the soil and they look great,have 25 kg so that must be enough for the moment.Now i have towait for my arran victory,pink fir and violett noir.I cant wait till they are ready especially violett noir that is a dark pink almost black potato and strange enough the inside of the potato is also pinkish,must be a strange side on your plate.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal