Author Topic: spotted dick recipe  (Read 4725 times)

debster

• Hectare
spotted dick recipe
« on: December 28, 2007, 21:48:50 »
when i was growing up my nan used to make a spotted dick that was white with spots obviously and not a sponge, she used to make up the mixture then tie it in a cloth and boil it, it was out of this world does anyone have a recipe please, everyone i have looked at all are steamed sponge with currants
nan used to slice it sprinkle it with sugar and we would eat it like that yum  :P

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Re: spotted dick recipe
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 21:55:12 »
I do, I will find it for you and post it . I should be made with Suet, and currants, not raisins, and it can be steamed in a bowl,this will colour it ,baked in the oven, this will crisp it or boil in a cloth which will keep it whiter XX XX Jeannine
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 21:58:02 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007, 22:01:04 »
oh superb Jeannine i know my nan used to buy fresh suet and grate it up to use but this was truly awesome not the healthiest pud in the world but hey ho if you could post it that would be fab id love to make one for my mum and sister etc thank you

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007, 22:17:44 »
100 gram Self Raising Flour
pinch salt
50 grams of suet, either home grated or use Atora(not the light or veggie one)
50 grams caster sugar
1 egg
60 mls milk
50 grams of currants.

Mix all the dries togather, add currants, blend milk and egg then blend this in too.

You can form it into a roll in greaseproof paper, or a ball if you prefer, then wrap in a well floured cloth, you can leave out the paper and just do the ball if you wish.Use a large pan , bring to the boil, pop the pudding in, reduce the heat to a good simmer  and boil it for about 1 1/2 hours, keeping the water topped up.

This should be pretty much what Nan did. You can add chopped peel if she did.

XX Jeannine

PS I should have said tie the pudding up , use a square of cotton, place pudding in the middle, brng two points together and tie in a knot, then bring the other points together, leave a bit of looseness so the pudding can swell, I tie mine to the side of the pan with string tied outside on the handles so it doesn't touch the bottom and it's own weight gives it a nice shape.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 22:23:06 by Jeannine »
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2007, 17:22:55 »
oooh thank :-* you so much gonna try this really soon

Curryandchips

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007, 19:07:39 »
My father gave me a recipe which I still use, it is based on quantities per person ...

1 oz self raising flour
1 oz breadcrumbs (I use fresh)
1 oz sugar
1 oz suet
1 oz currants (or mixed dried fruit for a fuller flavour)
1/2 egg

Mix all together and add just enough water to make into a sticky mix.

I have even used the above recipe to cook a pudding in the microwave, taking about 10 minutes on full power for a pudding for four people. In this case it is necessary to presoak the fruit in a bit of boiling water, which is then added to the mix, this releases the flavour of the fruit into the mix quickly.
The impossible is just a journey away ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal