Author Topic: I WANT TO GROW SOME FOOD!!  (Read 2140 times)

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
I WANT TO GROW SOME FOOD!!
« on: July 05, 2004, 09:21:32 »
Hi all
I've just taken over a plot that was cleared by the council a couple of months ago, weeds were treated and the plot was covered with plastic sheeting.  This has torn in places and weeds have come up through the gaps.  I have now cleared the site and am ready for the 'next stage' - problem is I'm not sure what to do next!!   :-\
My friendly allotment neighbour informed me that as the plot has been vacant for a few years I should just dig in some 'muck' and leave the plot empty until next spring. Can anyone advise me on whether this is my best option? I had really hoped to get some stuff in before then.
All suggestions gratefully received!
Plottie  
PS Apologies to anyone reading this twice as I've posted it on the 'basics' page too so as to reach as many of you gardening gurus as possible!! ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Re:I WANT TO GROW SOME FOOD!!
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2004, 10:16:46 »
Hurrah for your plot, plottie!

I don't know all that much, but I'm sure that there's loads that you could still plant and get a crop. Why waste all your hard back breaking labour and leave it till next year!

You could do salad crops at least - lettuce, radish and spring onions. My packet of French Beans says it's ok to sow them up until the end of July. I'm sure I've seen other posters on here say it would still be ok to sow carrots and parsnips now, they might not get that big, but it's something.

I could be wrong about this, but you might even be able to get some of the faster first early potatoes to crop - some of them crop in 9-10 weeks, although you might have a bit of trouble getting ahold of some seed spuds.
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2004, 10:38:12 »
There is a lot of advice on this if you scroll back a bit. Too tired to repeat it all. Chard, turnips, french beans, beet, spring cabage, carrots, lettuce, onions, parsley, peas etc.

But, meanwhile - yes, potatoes. Marshalls - 01945 466711 - do varieties suitable for planting now. But I put some of Tesco's Cara in on 25/6 & lifted the first on 2/9. = Tim

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2004, 12:05:45 »
OOh, and it might be a little expensive, but you could try to get som cold-stored/frozen strawberry runners in before the end of the month.

From the kenmuir.co.uk site: Frozen plants are available from March/April to late July. These will fruit within 60 days, provided they are planted outdoors between May and July. If planted before May they will crop within 90 days

You'd probably still get some runners out of them this year, and increase your number of plants for next year ;D ;D
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 18:23:58 »
Oh yes, I bought some of those. Popped it in one of those pots that they sell in my Nans garden. She is starting to get fruit peeping through. They've only been there a month.  :o I wish I had half of her greenfingers. ;D

Kerry

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2004, 18:49:28 »
hi plottie  :)
good luck with the planting ideas people have already suggested.
Can i just add, although it sounds odd to say it in july, I would get hold of some green manure seeds for winter. I wouldn't leave bare earth, I'd prefer to sow a manure that will cover the ground over winter and when dug in in the spring it will give you some extra manure and goodness for the soil.
Last winter I sowed some field beans which are supposed to fix nitrogen into the soil, this season I have planted my brassicas into this area.
Cheers all.

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 11:08:38 »
Thanks for all the suggestions :-*.  As well as trying some of your ideas I also have LOTS of other stuff to be getting in with....I'm putting up a border fence this weekend, the ramshackle shed needs emergency surgery before it falls over completely, etc etc etc
Plottie :D

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 11:38:34 »
A proper shed is of great importance - last winter, no shed as such, so some of my winter veg got neglected and went to waste - I didn't want to go to the plot if showers were on the horizon. Now the shed has been finished, it is so cosy to sit in it with a cuppa in hand while the clouds pour out their hearts.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 16:05:19 »
 :-\ :-\ :'( :'(

I envy those of you with sheds, we're not allowed anything more than a toolbox and that cannot be any taller than 1 metre. All I have to look forward to in the winter is making a run for the car.

Belinda

Plottie

• Half Acre
  • MMM , Raspberries !!!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2004, 13:45:09 »
A toolbox??? :o  Poor you - lots of people have sheds and greenhouses on our site and one plot has 3 greenhouses on it!!
Well, look on the bright side, at least you'll be getting super fit what with the gardening and all the carrying of equipment! :D
Plottie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal