Author Topic: Gravy granules?  (Read 14032 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Gravy granules?
« on: December 11, 2007, 14:03:41 »
I've read several mentions of these recently. I've never used them and for the same reason I don't use meat stock cubes...I shudder to think of the process by which the meat extract is produced....'reclaimed' meat, perhaps?

Anyone know?

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Gravy granules?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 14:09:03 »
Bisto |Best  Gravy granules.

ingredients:

Potato starch, maltodextrin, salt, flavourings (contains milk soya) vegetable oil, colour E150c  flavour enhancer E621,E635,  Beef extract, emulsifier  E322, Soya  spice and herb extract, onion extract.

I just put myself off reading that lot.  I use it in an emergency. 

::) ::)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2007, 14:15:53 »
I've started keeping a Knorr "pouch" in my cupboard - Chicken veg stock.  Doesn't have so many chemical bits in it ( i'm allergic to loads of it) but may not be much better in terms of provenance.   works well for me for emergency veg risotto etc.
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 14:52:52 »
I use Kallo Organic chicken vegetable and 'beef flavour' stock cubes. You can get them in Sainsburys. The beef flavour have very little beef in them but the taste seems fine though perhaps a bit close to the vegetable :) Surprisingly, unlike most cubes,  salt isn't the first ingredient and there are no artificial additives.

Sorry, no idea about extraction methods.

They do a gravy powder.....
http://www.kallofoods.com/products/stocks-and-gravies/KG81.asp
...........but I don't think I've seen it in the shops.

Wouldn't mind another source for them or something similar since we're not close to any sainsburys or waitrose.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 15:07:49 »
Bisto |Best  Gravy granules.

ingredients:

Potato starch, maltodextrin, salt, flavourings (contains milk soya) vegetable oil, colour E150c  flavour enhancer E621,E635,  Beef extract, emulsifier  E322, Soya  spice and herb extract, onion extract.

I just put myself off reading that lot.  I use it in an emergency. 

::) ::)
Essentially Gravy granules are just starch with flavours & colours but as with most commercially produced foods they get all kinds of crap added.
To expand a bit on the ingredients list.

E150c, also known as Ammonia Caramel, is made by controlled heat treatment of hlucose with ammonia.

E621 is better known as the flavour enhancer MSG (MonoSodium Glutamate). Since some people are hypersensitive to it and can suffer palpitations, migraine, nausea and other reactions, it might be wiser to call it that on the packet.

E635 is Sodium 5 Ribonucleotides a mixture of DiSodium Guanylate (E627) extracted from sardines and/or yeast extract & DiSodium Inosinate (E631) extracted from muscle tissue in meat and/or from dried sardines. There have been reports of serious reactions to this additive in some people although the regulatory authorities appear to regard it as safe. However, it is banned in some countries, including Australia. It is now increasingly used in products containing MSG due to it's synergistic effects. For instance a 50/50 mixture of MSG and E635 produces a flavour enhancer 100 times more potent than the same amount of MSG alone so the manufacturer can halve the MSG content but still produce an identical tasting product.

E322 is Lecithin. Commercial Lecithin mostly comes from soya bean oil which may be GM.

Beef extract is prepared by concentrating in vacuum kettles the clear broth obtained from cooking beef flesh. It could have used almost any parts of the animal that had flavour.
Ordinarily that would not include cartilage, ligaments, and or tendon tissue
because these components contain very little fat. Any residual muscle tissue
containing at least a trace of fat would do because the flavor of meat is
largely borne in the fat.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2007, 15:23:13 »
Best use Marmite - totally veggie!!

RosieMcPosie

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2007, 15:55:57 »
yummy my mate, marmite :)
also, bovril went veggie for a while- it's back to having real beefin it now tho but might still be available in tiny shops...
proud owner of a lottie since August 2007!

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2007, 16:03:16 »
I think Marmite is a rip-off,considering it's nothing more than a waste product of the brewing industry, with (lots of) added salt. Yes I like it but not at that price.

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2007, 16:19:00 »
Surprisingly, unlike most cubes,  salt isn't the first ingredient and there are no artificial additives.

Should have read the other way round! i.e. "Surprisingly like most cubes salt is still the first ingredient but there are no artificial additives"

Sorry :(

No artificial ingredients or E numbers in the gravy powder either.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 16:23:02 by Barnowl »

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 16:25:06 »
I think Marmite is a rip-off,considering it's nothing more than a waste product of the brewing industry, with (lots of) added salt. Yes I like it but not at that price.

Geoff.
Unilever make a fortune producing it the breweries pay them to take the waste yeast away, salt is used to trigger autolysis, then the dying yeast are heated to complete their breakdown, the husks are sifted out giving them yeast extract. They sell some of this yeast extract to Jacobs bakery (part of the Danone group) to flavour twiglets then they add colouring, flavouring & vitamins & get to charge extortianate prices for the finished product.

It shouldn't be that difficult to make it yourself assuming you brew your own beer so you have access to the main ingredient. You would have to experiment with different herb/spice combinations to get the right taste.

Alternately this recipe for homemade Marmite is supposed to be quite good, I can't vouch for it myself as i can't stand the stuff.

1/2 tsp molasses
1 Tbs rice syrup
1 tsp Better Than Bouillon (bouillon paste), vegetable flavor
2 Tbs nutritional yeast flakes (or 1 Tbs powder)

Mix all ingredients well.
Store in a small jar in fridge.

NOTE: If Better Than Bouillon is not available, use miso.

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 16:49:05 »
Hi Baccy Man,

Where do you buy the "Better than Bouillon"?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 17:20:32 »
I rarely use it but one of the local deli's usually has it in stock knorr does their own version of bouillon paste too or if you know someone with a cash & carry card you can buy bouillon paste in bulk very cheaply.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 17:41:44 »
Thank you ever such a lot for your input,  everyone, and a special thanks to BaccyMan - knew you'd all add knowledge 8)....I'm now off to google a few words I haven't a clue about....so I'm now going outside - and I may be some time ;D

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 17:43:56 »
we use organic bouillon, my son says be careful, they have lots of salt in  :(

euronerd

• Acre
  • West Yorks
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 19:28:41 »
Yes Baccyman, thanks for all the detail. Great stuff, I love the scientific and technical side. I do brew my own beer as it happens, so who  knows what i might end up with?

Geoff.
You can't please all of the people all of the time, but you can't upset them all at once either.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 19:43:47 »

Geoff.

Like Marmite. I am a product of Burton upon Trent, and I love the stuff.

I've just been looking at the labels on the jars I have in the cupboard, and it no longer says 'made in Burton upon Trent' on the front.  That's probably due to the fact that there are virtually no breweries left in Burton, but no idea where it is made.  Probably like HP sauce, been transferred to 'elsewhere in the EU'.

valmarg

Tin Shed

• Hectare
  • South Essex
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 20:20:15 »
My mother would disown me if I used gravy granules!

Barnowl

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 00:09:26 »
ditto ;D

Susiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 01:58:37 »
Baccy-Man strikes again ;D you never cease to amaze me with your food knowledge and always interesting stuff thank you. For anyone who likes marmite try this one
A jar of              Tahini ( I use the light)
equal weight of MISO   ( there are lots of miso out there-wheat,barley- some much stronger than others,keep trying different ones until you find the one that suits your tastebuds best)
mix well together until shiny, may need a little hot water added to soften
place in jars or whatever and keep re fridgerated until used.
Lovely on toast and goeswith beans on toast much better than butter.
a lot healthier no added salt and suits my taste buds much better than Marmite - what do you think BaccyMan worth a try?

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 02:45:28 »
Meat juices, thickened with a roux or cornflour and if you must a wee bit of gravy browning for colour,,,,,,,,,,gravy granules.........why? are they better/easier Can someone enlighten me please XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal