Author Topic: phishing  (Read 1858 times)

ACE

• Hectare
phishing
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:27:28 »
I have always been of the opinion that you don't get something for nothing and if it is too good to be true it usually isn't.

I seem to get loads of phishing emails, I can usually tell at a glance and dont even like just opening the email (I never do the attachment). But on my livemail account I have to open the mail before I can press the REPORT PHISHING  button
Is there an easy way I can just drag these emails to a reporting site without opening them. I should not think there is a danger of me putting a genuine one in there.

Also can the sender tell if the mail has been opened from their end.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
Re: phishing
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 10:22:30 »
can the sender tell if the mail has been opened from their end.

If the phisher has set it up ( most do) yes they can tell if you viewed the mail. There are a number of methods but the simplest is to include an image or url (usually a 1px white square but could be a trustworthy logo). This image or url will be named with a unique code which is stored in a database against the email address. Any hit on the server for this unique code can only have come from the one matching email address and the database is then updated to indicate valid email.

Phishing works by collecting one piece at a time until a profile is built up. The more bits they get, the easier it is to get more.

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: phishing
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 22:30:41 »
Not that deleting them from my server using mailwasher, which accesses e-mails remotely and does not open any images or anything else that can be used to confirm a live e-mail address, does anything to reduce their regularity. ::)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal