Author Topic: Internet Explorer 7. Do not use with AOL.  (Read 1511 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Internet Explorer 7. Do not use with AOL.
« on: December 06, 2007, 11:43:26 »
Since this version of IE has come out i have twice attempted to use it, and twice i have removed it and gone back to the previous version.

The first time it seemed to cause conflicts and slow the computer down, the second time (today), I installed it (part of Windows XP updates) and AOL promptly stopped working. The software would load and connect but would not open any web pages. All I got each time was an error message about Virtual memory and hard disk space (too low to open the page). I could not even switch to IE itself as this would not open at all. Normal sevice was only resumed when I uninstalled the new IE software.

Now this could be more of an AOL issue than a Microsoft issue, however i think that will be the last time I download and install internet explorer 7! At least untill i have no choice in the matter.

I just thought i would post about this expereince as a warning to others.

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
Re: Internet Explorer 7. Do not use with AOL.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 12:43:37 »
hi, IE7 is for vista, computers, thats why it's not compatable with XP, but if you have Vista, contact AOL and ask for the VR9 disk this software will help,  ;D
my allotment
heaven

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 16:56:46 »
I have used it with XP, and while not perfect, it did work. it wasnt until I started having problems that I took it off. I am not really desperate to have it, personaly I cant see what real advantage it has over v6. Once again 'Nanny' Microsoft decided i needed it so i got it!

If this version of IE is only meant for Vista users, why was I even offered it as part odf automatic updates? The update system can detect which version of windows you have!

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 17:08:03 »
Get yerself on Firefox, you'll never look back. Loads of nifty add-ons too! (and it's fairly secure, which is always a bonus). Opera is another good one.

Whatever you choose, make sure that you dump Internet Explorer, it's got more security holes than you can shake a stick at.

Rob. ;D

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 17:36:36 »
Get yerself on Firefox, you'll never look back. Loads of nifty add-ons too! (and it's fairly secure, which is always a bonus). Opera is another good one.

Whatever you choose, make sure that you dump Internet Explorer, it's got more security holes than you can shake a stick at.

Rob. ;D

I didnt think firefox worked all that well with AOL. However I will be giving it another go. Thanks

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal