Author Topic: Bolting leeks  (Read 9628 times)

natasha

• Half Acre
Bolting leeks
« on: December 07, 2007, 16:32:58 »
I started my leeks last year in January and most of the plants bolted :-[, do you think the reason is in the early start? What shall I do to prevent bolting?

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
Re: Bolting leeks
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 16:41:41 »
I rarely start mine before March, and never have bolting problems.
What you may find though, is that the variety you've sown is for an early crop, and they've reached the end of their growing season. Check your seed packet if you still have it.
For leeks that will stand all winter long, you can't go wrong with Musselburgh, an old favourite that's as hardy as they come.

Rob.

Gail-M

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 17:38:21 »
Hi,

mine have all bolted too - started quite early and I'm fairly sure they were half Musselburgh and half Lyon prizemaker.

I feel disappointed and wondering what I can do differently next year.

reagrds Gail 

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 17:38:51 »
May as well add my leek question onto this. I planted out a second lot of leeks in August. They haven't done very well and most are no more than half-inch diameter with lots of leaves (the start of bolting?). I know they can stay in the ground over winter, but would I be better digging them up and using them now?

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2007, 22:03:38 »
The variety of leek that you use makes a big difference. My King Richards for example have been ready for a month or two, while the other two varieties that I have, Bleu de Solaise and Jaune de Poitou aren't quite there yet (though the Jaune ought to be...). The Bleu is designed to grow really slowly all through the winter, I believe.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

real food

• Acre
    • Growing Your Own fruit and Vegetables
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2007, 22:54:21 »
I sowed my leeks at the beginning of Feb. and none have bolted. King Richard ready now, and Musselburgh close behind. A drought at any part of their life could cause them to bolt. They love plenty of moisture. Musselburgh will continue to grow slowly in any milder spells over the Winter.
See the quick guide to Growing, Storing, and the Healthy Cooking, of your own Fruit and Vegetables at www.growingyourown.info

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 00:02:27 »
Are they from real seeds Bupster? I've got the same varieties on order for next year.

Rob.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 09:31:36 »
I think mine are Musselburgh, so I'll leave them for now. just a shame the first lot are nearly finished.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2007, 12:42:23 »
Yup, they are from Real Seeds. I'm looking at a new really tall variety they've got for this year too. Anyone tried anything other than Musselburgh and King Richard?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

inski

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 13:38:47 »
Hi. Talking of leeks most of mine are OK but some have started producing several more shoots from the base of the plant. Is this bolting, and if not what is causing it? Any ideas?

Dadnlad

• Acre
  • Site Foreman ?
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 14:25:50 »
We grow St Victor, a mid to late cropping variety, whose leaves turn purple as they mature ( think I read somewhere they are a strain of Bleu Solaise)
They seem pretty hardy, stand until about March, and as a non-F1 variety, we replant the best couple of plants at the back of the fruit cage in the spring and let them go to seed -   presto   - free leeks  :P  ;D

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2007, 14:26:56 »
Good idea - I always pull the best, I should be keeping them, I suppose!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2007, 16:39:36 »
This year I've grown a short row of quite a few different varieties of leek as it was my first year on the plot and I wanted to see what would do well.

Bleu de Solaise
King Richard
D'hiver de Saint Victor
Jaune Gros de Poitou
Autumn Giant 2- Argenta
Lyon Prizetaker
Pandora and of course
Mussleburgh

So far, the Pandora and King Richard have made the biggest leeks; the Jaune Gros de Poitou is supposed to reach up to 5', but I sowed these a bit later than the others and they look more like Pot Leeks now!

A few have bolted so I've just pulled them and used them first discarding the core, no specific variety seems to be more guilty of this than the others. The Bleu de Solaise and D'hiver de Saint Victor have yet to change colour, I guess it hasn't been cold enough for long enough yet...tell that to my frozen toes! ;D
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 16:56:42 »
Probably damage to the stem base at transplanting Inski... get it sometimes..
 :-\

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 17:26:06 »
thought i read somewhere leeks are bi-annual? or is that onions - one of mine has bolted as well - gona leave it and see if i get any seeds

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2007, 23:27:33 »
thought i read somewhere leeks are bi-annual? or is that onions - one of mine has bolted as well - gona leave it and see if i get any seeds
Unfortunately that is not the leek you want seeds from as it is a proven bolter.  You want to be selecting seeds from leeks that bolt late rather than early because then you will be breeding in characteristics that you want.  The big problem with seed saving is that you have to 'waste' you best plant - the one you really want to get your teeth into.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

ninnyscrops

• Hectare
  • Doing what comes naturally......in West Sussex
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2007, 00:13:17 »
I've grown Giant Winter from Kings seeds this year and not seen any sign of bolting. Musselburgh in as well and no probs there either.

If I ever get it all right - then that's the time to quit.

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2007, 09:11:46 »
Tartonterro, you're better off saving seed from one that has lasted the winter. If you save seed from an early bolter then its progeny are likely to bolt early too! :)

Rob the rake

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2007, 09:14:54 »
Oops! Didn't mean to tread on your toes, Redclanger. I really ought to read the full thread before replying. :-[

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2007, 09:36:32 »

Hi all,  :D
                  So far, the Pandora and King Richard have made the biggest leeks; the Jaune Gros de Poitou is supposed to reach up to 5', but I sowed these a bit later than the others and they look more like Pot Leeks now!

A 5 foot leek, that I`d like to see :o

Adrian.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal