Author Topic: Rasberries  (Read 895 times)

lottieowner

• Not So New ...
Rasberries
« on: December 10, 2007, 17:21:25 »
Just had my canes delivered yesterday-glen moy/glen ample and autumn bliss
Now is it too late to plant/What about the frost tonight-can I plant them tomorrow?
Do I have to separate the canes individually to plant each or do I plant as a clump-please help :-\ :-\ :-\
Thanks
LO

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Rasberries
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 20:00:28 »
What about the frost tonight-can I plant them tomorrow

There are a lot of ifs and buts with this one!!

Technically I would say it is OK subject to how long the frost lasts i.e. the ground won't be frozen yet.

Having said that I I would hold off for a few days certainly in my area where frost is forecast all week this week.

To alleviate your immediate problem of looking after them until you can plant them out, dig a hole, or in your case because you have three varieties, three holes, of a size suited to plant each variety in separate clumps.

Choose a sheltered spot but not a frost pocket to do this i.e. it doesn't necessarily have to be in their final quarters.

Then if the weather improves say next week follow the instructions here; http://tinyurl.com/yjxmge

Be careful when watering them in, don't overdo it.

If you don't get them in by say by lunch time wait till the following morning (assuming it is not frosty) before watering them in, this will give the surplus water time to drain off before the temperatures cool dow again.

Personally I think it is a liberty for plant merchants to send plants out at this time of year.

Fingers crossed all will be well.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 20:03:20 »
Hi Lottieowner,

Advice is to plant raspberries 18" apart in a row.  This always looks a bit miserly when the canes look so small but is worth doing to plan for the future.  Also as much soil preperation in terms of weeding and bulking up as you can do.

I wouldnt plant right now with this cold snap, cold frozen soil will be a bit of a shock even to a dormant plant I would have thought.  Theres not too much of a rush and a week or so would be fine to wait.

Hope this helps and they romp away,  gte.
Best laid plans and all that

lottieowner

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2007, 07:36:58 »
Thank you for all the advice-see how it goes
LO

davholla

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2007, 10:11:15 »
One good idea if they need support is to have 2 canes at each end of the row.
Tie cable between them and then tie the raspberries to the cable.  This year/next year always tie to the same of the cable so when you prune in 2009 the growth from 2007/2008 you do not accidently prune the wrong growth.

sunloving

• Hectare
  • Living on a small holding in Ireland
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 13:55:36 »
Hi
Just in case your not planting them right now. I had bare canes last year in november and becuase my plot was a quagmire until march i kept them in pots still tied in thier oritgional bunches. Theyve done great this year and produced many many raspberries. so if you cant plant them just bung them in some buckets and leave them until the soils a bit warmer or they break bud.
x sunloving

tuinman

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 14:11:59 »
If you know where you want them, prepare soil and then cover with somthing to help keep it warmer, i.e. black bin bags, branches, mulch. :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal