Author Topic: Nuthatch  (Read 1309 times)

Toadspawn

• Acre
Nuthatch
« on: December 04, 2007, 22:34:56 »
Two years ago Nuthatches nested in one of my boxes and raised three chicks. Virtually every day since then they have visited the feeders and one of the pair takes sunflower hearts and the other peanuts. Lovely to watch but difficult to photograph because they do not stay still very long.
However, very sad today, a Nuthatch arrived and struggled to stay on the perches near to the feeders. It did not look particularly healthy and I eventually found it on the ground underneath and picked it up. It had its feathers puffed out, its tail down and its beak was gaping. Put it up in a Pyracantha bush but I guess it will be dead in the morning.
I just hope it was not one of the pair but I have my doubts as it knew where the food was but could not eat it. Hopefully another will arrive overwinter and maybe they will use the nest box next year. 

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
Re: Nuthatch
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:37:40 »
Awwww  maybe the youngsters will move in if they know there's a friendly option at your place
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Nuthatch
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 13:10:08 »
If the little thing was coming to the end of its natural lifespan, you should feel proud that it chose to return to your place of sanctuary in its final hours.

It is very sad though, Im sure another will appear to replace the lost one, which I presume didn't survive.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal