Author Topic: got a greenhouse  (Read 3168 times)

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
got a greenhouse
« on: December 07, 2007, 08:01:19 »
i got a greenhouse yesterday off eBay 50 quid for a  8 by 6 but it needs dismantling and here is where i need help never done it before!!! and how will i know where every thing goes when i put it back up??? please assist thank you ;)
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: got a greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2007, 09:54:11 »
we dismantled ours, it didn't seem too bad, labelled it with a marker, a,b,c etc  ;D

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2007, 14:07:25 »
As Manic says, label everything possible - then take lots of pictures if you possibly can,

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2007, 19:32:28 »
This might sound and look silly to the seller, but take closeup pictues even of the corners, roof and side joints. Take little plastic bags with you so you can put the screws etc that come off each side, wall, roof etc and Label each bag.  ;D

Good Luck and congrats  :D

P.S...Take a roll of making tape and you can label each of the pieces
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 09:46:58 »
Yes to all of the above.

Also thick gloves for the glass and bubble wrap or newspaper to interleave for transport.

Tools wise, a racket spanner thingy is the best for undoing the nuts and if you have one that has a joint so the head rotates - that is really handy for getting at the nuts in the corners.

Permanent marker pen

Have fun

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 10:33:15 »
I know I will be teaching my granny to suck eggs, but do not be tempted to move complete sides withe the glass in, it will crack at the best. It should come apart in 6 bits plus the doors, the frames should be light enough to handle,(providing you have large enough transport.

Read this then reverve the proceedure

http://www.intersites.co.uk/14335/

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 11:10:57 »
I moved a 12 x 8 GH twice in removal lorries when moving house. Took all the glass out and stacked very carefully with newspaper in between. Note the size and shape of glass used in different parts of GH. I then took the frame apart but tried to leave the sides, ends and roof sections as complete as possible. This meant I did not have lots of nuts and bolts and small pieces to try and fix together at the other end. It worked OK.
Another possibility, depending on how far you have to move it would be to take out all the glass and then with help pick up the still assembled frame and either carry it to your house or put it on a flat bedded trailed to tow to your home. 

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 16:10:27 »
Hi

I moved one last year.  I was really organised and decided to write on each pane of glass where it went etc.  Took all the glass out first then dismantled the frame (which when you get to undoing it you have to be very careful that it doesn't twist and buckle the aluminium)  a few of the bolts sheared off but apart from that it was pretty easy. 

When I got it home it was dead simple to re-erect.  It was just a case of laying out all the bits and using a bit of logic!  Away I went and being quite old and a woman I was very pleased with myself.  It is still standing and still great.

Incidentally marking all the glass was a waste of time as most of it was the same size and the bits that weren't were obvious as to where they would go.

Good luck with it and take a good pair of gloves with you for when you handle the glass!

Old Bird

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 22:31:47 »
I removed one from a building site. I labelled up with a marker pen all the parts and had no trouble putting it all back together.

For even bigger problem, I recently found some bits of aluminium greenhouse frame. My idea was to make a very big cold frame. When I put the bits together, I found it made a nearly complete 'house. There was obviously no plan and the sides were not labelled up. I worked on looking at wear marks where bolts went in and also that anything that was rather dirty and weathered would be on the outside and cleaner parts would be on the inside. This worked. I then had to make a base out aluminium L-pieces and fit the glass - Bingo! second greenhouse.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2007, 10:29:56 »
Just watch for settling once you have it back up... really irritating when a couple of panes crack!
 :-[

Tohellwithweeds

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007, 10:38:16 »
thanks for all the advice but we have sort of got it sorted  :o :o the chap who i am buying it off hasn't taken it down just taken the glass out (thank god) so we are hoping it will fit on the back of the tipper??? truck ??? lorry type van (can you tell I'm not a car/lorry person) :D :D so hopefully we should be able to get it home that way so all we have to do is put all the glass back in(fingers crossed). we live in Lincoln and have to pick it up from doncaster just hope we make it with no mishaps so please keep your fingers,toes and eyes crossed for me thank you all once again you are all heroes ;) ;) ;)
Link To My Pictures
http://s265.photobucket.com/albums/ii229/ToHellWithWeeds/?mediafilter=images

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 16:04:25 »
Everything crossed for you!!

Good luck

Let us know how you get on!

Old Bird

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal