Author Topic: Heated Propagator Advice Please!  (Read 5588 times)

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
  • You looking at me? Huh?
Heated Propagator Advice Please!
« on: December 03, 2007, 17:22:20 »
Hello  ;D

I won a new-fangled heated propagator thingy from Thomspon & Morgan (or was it Marshalls?  ::) ) a few months ago and I was VERY pleased with myself  ;D

But in retrospect, what the bloomin' heck doI put in it, when & why!! And then, when do I take whatever's in it OUT and THEN where do I put it?

Advice most welcome please! I'm far more suited to a cronky old paraffin heater in a greenhouse  ::)

Trixie X
The Devil Invented Dandelions!

Trevor_D

• Hectare
  • north-west London
Re: Heated Propagator Advice Please!
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2007, 17:37:34 »
Congratulations! Wouldn't be without mine.

It sits in a corner of the kitchen from mid-January and all the seeds go in it until they germinate. (Don't leave them in there too long, or they'll go leggy.) Then they come out & get transferred to the heated sand-bench in the greenhouse, to leave room for the next lot of seeds. After a few days on the sand-bench (depending how pushed I am for space), they get moved onto the ordinary slatted benches in the GH and then eventually into a cold-frame.

All the flowers start off in the propagator, plus the early veg & GH crops. It's in constant use until early summer.

One tip: cover the base with capillary matting and water the plants by an overhead mist spray. If it's got vents, close them at night but open them during the day, just like you would a greenhouse.

Have fun!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2007, 18:06:41 »
Thanks Trevor! But what sort of seeds benefit from being in there? I don't grow flowers so what else could I use it for?

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2007, 18:24:57 »
Thanks for asking that question Trixie. I have one which Charlie only used once, it has sat in the shed ever since. As I grow mostly flowers I may have a go following Trevor's advice. Such a waste to just sit there, if I don't use it I might as well give it away.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2007, 18:28:51 »
Belle - toms, aubs, cues, peppers............??

Is it thermostatic?

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 18:31:14 »
No idea if it's thermostatic Tim but thanks for the suggestions.

LORNA: Maybe we could sell them on EBay  ;D

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2007, 18:36:04 »
 ;D ;D Will get it out of shed when I return from holiday 23rd Dec. oh make that AFTER Christmas ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2007, 19:47:54 »
Mine's great, Trixie - although it gets hotter near the middle (it's not thermostatic). Only one funny thing - I tried leeks in it once, some inside & some out. I had a lower germination inside than out!

Excellent for as Tim says, plus squash. And if it's not thermostatic, make sure you get stuff out as soon as it's up or you get slowly steamed baby salad!

Trixiebelle

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2007, 21:07:00 »
Squash sounds like a good idea Ollie! Ta  :)

Barnowl

• Hectare
  • getting back to my roots [SW London]
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 10:37:56 »
Mine's great, Trixie - although it gets hotter near the middle (it's not thermostatic). Only one funny thing - I tried leeks in it once, some inside & some out. I had a lower germination inside than out!

Excellent for as Tim says, plus squash. And if it's not thermostatic, make sure you get stuff out as soon as it's up or you get slowly steamed baby salad!

Some veg don't like too hot - they either don't germinate or get too leggy very quickly. Chillis on the other hand usually need at least  23C to germinate and tomatoes seem to like it fairly warm as well.

Thermostatic usually means you can adjust the basic temperature. If it's not, you can adjust the temperature by opening / closing vents and/or using a timer switch on the electricity supply.

I recommend getting a soil temperature thermometer so that you can get an idea of the temp at which the propagator operates.

Just found this page:

http://www.adrians.utvinternet.com/GoodEarth/vegseed.htm

« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 10:45:07 by Barnowl »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 19:46:59 »
Don't go mad & try to grow everything in there?

As said, most veg don't like heat &, what's more, don't need it.

GodfreyRob

• Acre
  • Good Boy!
    • The VGA Live!
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2007, 10:21:45 »
A point to bear in mind is that heated propagators can't cool themselves down!
If you put one near a window and the sun shines on it, it can cook the plants inside.
If you think the day might be sunny and you have to go out - provide some shade.
Software for Vegetable Growers:
The VGA Live!

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2007, 22:31:18 »
Just got a surprise one in the post, haven't a clue how to use it or what for. Will you guys be putting things in it as early as Jan? And if you shouldn't leave it too close to direct sunlight, where do you keep it?
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 01:29:29 »
Trix I never use mine for squash, no need,  by the time they should be seeded the weather is isually OK,but the best I find it for is hot chilies , peppers and aubs and Toms in that order XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2007, 19:05:23 »
Well said, Jeannine!

Don't try to fool nature? IF you bring things on so early, what light & warmth do they have to continue growth?

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2007, 21:27:41 »
Hmmm, I've had them (squash seeds) go mouldy on the only bright windowsill in my (pretty cold) house, so figure a head start (with chances of germination, not time) has to help... On the other hand, I would never disagree with 2 of the most helpful & downright likeable people on here, either one of which has far more experience than me!
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 21:57:03 by OllieC »

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2007, 00:21:19 »
Ollie if your squash  seeds are rotting it is probably because they are too wet, they really don't like it, barely damp is best, and  a unheated propogater keeps them just abpout right. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2007, 19:12:04 »
Hmmm, I do tend to be a bit heavy with the water... thanks Jeannine!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal