Author Topic: please help with firewall,spyware,adware!  (Read 8679 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
please help with firewall,spyware,adware!
« on: November 29, 2007, 16:26:26 »
hi there,
please help are these firewall,spyware,adware, all the same? ???
Recently I don't know where I've been to, it had a load of pop-up rubbish advert come up >:(
How can I get rid of it? :-\
Does any of you guys know are there any freeware around that you can recommended :)
thank you!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
Re: please help with firewall,spyware,adware!
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 17:17:00 »
Hi Yuet,
I had the same problem years ago. I have used (Lavasoft's) Ad-Aware FREE program and it works great. After you download and need any assistance, just email me.

Download...Open the program, click START

Click NEXT

Let the scan progress. I just did a scan, and you can see I have 26 little devils lurking...Click NEXT

Click OK

Open quarantine list...Click Auto quarantine...Delete (At the bottom)...Ok DONE!

Hope this helps

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/ad_aware_free.php
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 17:22:27 by Lauren S »
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

WASSISNAME

• Quarter Acre
  • I water garden. The wife does the earth bit
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 22:18:36 »
Ashampoo Free is a good Firewall I use it, so is Comodo Firewall. I use Avast4 Home anti virus programme also FREE
and I think Superanti Spyware is free
The Wife does the gardening I just admire it

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2007, 14:27:25 »
hi, not all these programmes work with vista home premium, vista has it's own, windows defender,

so yuet-lee, what software, ME, XP, VISTA, are you using depends what you can use,
my allotment
heaven

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2007, 16:59:03 »
thank you for you guys replied ;)
I'm on window XP!
 So do I needed all these different software to do different ???
thanks for your help!

Rhubarb Thrasher

• Hectare
  • Dark Side Of The Rhubarb
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 17:06:30 »
If you run Adaware for the first time, you'll probably get 100's of suspicious objects - most if not all of them will be cookies, and they're nothing to worry about (so they say  ???)

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 18:24:17 »
I run Windows XP
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

windygale

• Acre
  • http://spaces.msn.com/windyspot/
    • www.rushall.org.uk
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 19:15:23 »
hi Yuet_Lee, when i used XP i used these to look after my computer
Avast4.7(free Antivirus)
Lavasoft Adware SE (free)
ZoneAlarm (free firewall)
if you register all these products you will get free update for a year or more on some ;D
once you set them up they all work in the back ground and if i remember rightly, zone alarm comes up allow if you go on a website, tick remember and it wont ask again,

hope this helps
windy ;D
my allotment
heaven

sean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2007, 14:48:16 »
hi just a quick update z/a is a great program or should i say was i had z/a pro and it is now a nightmare to use it blocks msn mail yahoo sites without asking , i use pandasoftware now and it is great.
a good sitefor a free virus and spyware check is www.ewido.com and ignore them selling you antivirus software just use the scan now button by the man sitting with laptop on his lap , this founda virus i had a year or 2 ago and removed it free when every other company i tried said it was free until they find a virus then it is $50 to remove it
well good luck all and happy xmas

mrf94

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2007, 19:25:11 »
Adaware is fine , try Antivir for antivirus and Netvedas safety.net for a firewall,
and to clean up your rubbish try Ccleaner
Theres lots to choose from out there  its the ones that you feel comfortable with  that usually work for you.

mrf94

pg

• Acre
    • Freelance wine writer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2007, 18:56:30 »
Recently I don't know where I've been to, it had a load of pop-up rubbish advert come up >:(
How can I get rid of it? :-\

Another way to stop popups is to use the Blocking popups option that comes with all browsers:

Internet Explorer (IE):
Tools, Pop-up Blocker, Turn on/off

Firefox (in my opinion much better at this)
Tools, Options, Content, tick box Block popup windows, OK

In both IE and Firefox you can set the blocker to accept popups from certain websites (eg your bank website etc) with Exceptions

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2007, 19:22:14 »
I use Virgin Media. It provides all spyware , antivirus, virus-scan and everything else for free. It also automatically updates daily.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

Vony

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 10:31:54 »
Thank Goodness for Apple Mac I don't need any of those.
Vony.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2007, 12:15:50 »
Code: [Select]
Oh yes you do!

There is now quite a lot of mac specific malware being written as the number of totally unprotected machines rises above insignificant levels. Macs are not immune from virus and intrusion, its just that no one bothered to write the code.

If micro$oft continues to screw up the way it is, more people will turn to Macs making them a very easy target.
Regardless of the make of machine, if it is switched on it is vulnerable.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2007, 14:34:50 »
"Regardless of the make of machine, if it is switched on it is vulnerable."

You can take paranoia too far. I went to install some software onto a clients PC and noticed he had Etrust anti-virus. I mentioned that it wasn't the best around and he countered that he'd never had a virus since he got the computer. When I went to register the new programme online I realised he didn't have the internet. I suggested he didn't really need an anti-virus running all the time but he insisted he didn't want to take the chance of someone hacking into his PC!!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2007, 01:15:34 »
Creating viruses for macs is easy there is no real incentive to do so though microsoft is an easier target.
Mach-O is the native file format used by OSX it is easily infected.
Each file is supposed to start  with  a __PAGEZERO segment, which marks the first 0x1000 bytes  as  not accessible.  The file size there is 0, but you can change it and load  your  code.  All you have to do is pad the file  to  a multiple of 4kb first, to avoid a bus error, then append your code.  After that, set the file offset and size fields, and the protection flags so you can run it.
IDA assumes that the entrypoint is always  the first byte in the __text section. The  LC_UNIXTHREAD  load  command describes the register values for  the  main thread  in  the file.
By simply  changing  the value in the SRR0 field to another value you are able  to move the entrypoint around, but IDA does not notice, and continues to show the old  one.  It's a new type of entrypoint obscuring. 
IDA  refuses to load any segment which contains no  sections  (like __LINKEDIT   and,  more  importantly,  __PAGEZERO).  That  means  your  code  is invisible, yet it runs.

I don't bother using an anti virus program on my own system I do have a free firewall to limit the number of intrusions but they are generally very simple to remove manually & have never caused a significant problem. I  have intentionally infected my system on numerous occassions when I have had to assist someone to remove a virus & I can't be there in person as it makes it easier to talk them through it step by step over the phone if I am doing the same thing myself. I suggest AVG to my customers when I build their PC's unless they go for linux rather than windows purely because it is a free program & covers most viruses/malware they will come across, obviously if they are using linux there is still a chance of becoming infected with a virus but it is very rare so it's not worth devoting resources to an antivirus program.

Plot69

• Hectare
  • Lincolnshire
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007, 21:57:21 »

Amen to that brother :)
Tony.

Sow it, grow it, eat it.

bupster

• Hectare
    • Plot Holes
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2007, 23:28:05 »
I know it costs money, but it's effective: Norton. Also backs up all your files. There are some things worth paying for. (Microsoft office is the other, until I can find something better  ???). For everything else, ask google - Picasa is miles better than anything else for looking after your photos.
For myself I am an optimist - it does not seem to be much use being anything else.

http://www.plotholes.blogspot.com

sean

• Not So New ...
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 01:53:42 »
hi i see you say norton and i had to reply it is a total load of c - - p for want of a better word i use to have nortom pro system works paid for each year until in the 2007 jan 1 it would not update just crashed i spent alot of money on phone calls to india which is nortons help center well there tech support really helped they downloaded stuff to my machine and killed it do not be fooled norton are total rush as is there products.
now if you want good stuff use pandasoftware also you can get free help online try www.ewido.com don't install there software just do the online scan they are great norton let viruses through and they took it off free of charge when everyone else wanted $50 so if you need help PM me i will give any help i can
cheers
sean

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 02:17:48 »
Norton/Symantec products used to be worth buying but the current ones just use a lot of resources and are of very limited effectiveness. I get an awful lot of PCs in for repair which have loads of viruses, spyware & other malware which norton has either missed completely or can't correct or in some cases norton itself has been targeted by a virus & either won't start or crashes continuously. The same would go for McAfee products.

Bupster have you tried Open Office it is completely free & works just as well as MS Office for most people.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal