Author Topic: white rot  (Read 2182 times)

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
white rot
« on: November 21, 2007, 11:39:15 »
I've been reading as much as I can about the dreaded white rot, is it true no point in growing the onions etc. for 7 years. I've tried for about 3 years. I built raised beds due to my probs. but almost all my plot no matter where I grow them they have the white rot. I tried disinfecting the ground a couple of years ago but no better results. Onions and potato's are the main veg. for me so is it putting my name down for another plot the answer or can something be done!! Help.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: white rot
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 12:06:06 »
Sclerotinia cepivorum can remain viable for up to 18 years there is nothing you can do to eradicate it.
Try growing them in containers. Pots of compost  should raise good crops of onions. The bigger and deeper the container the better.
Alternatively make a raised bed filled with manure and fresh uninfected soil/compost, using a plastic sheet to isolate the onion bed from contaminated soil.

davyW

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 12:12:03 »
Also have a seperate set of tools.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 12:46:16 »
Just dip them in Armillatox?

jock_edin

• Quarter Acre
  • I Love All This Hard Work
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 12:50:28 »
I think that was the name of disinfectant I sprayed a couple of years ago, do you mean Tim that before planting the onion set dip it in the Armillatox.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 13:04:29 »
I'm a real fan of Armillatox for fungal disease in the soil. You need to dilute it 100:1 and then use 5 litres per sq metre before digging then again after digging. A litre is therefore able to cover up to 250 sq yds, although I'd double the strength myself. You can plant a month or so after the second application. Simply spraying it won't make much difference I don't think.

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007, 15:00:23 »
Hmm brainfog there. A litre will cover about 10 sq mt twice not 250. That's the only problem, it works out pretty expensive.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 19:32:55 »
What I meant was dip tools in a bucket of A after each use.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 20:20:03 »
Tut, tut, don't you know under EU Directives it is illegal to use Armillatox in the EU for any other purpose than cleaning the patio furniture and the patio.

This one of the stupidities of the EU, if you go to armillatox.co.uk you will be told it is illegal to use it for any purpose other than the ones mentioned above, but if you go to armillatox.com you will be given the dilution rates for anywhere else in the world.  Stupid or what?

I have a leaflet which lists its uses as a soil sterilant against vine weevil eggs, moss control in grass, moss control on hard surfaces, control of honey fungus, control of clubroot, sterilising water in water butts, and also against toxacara canis.

This was all certified by the Pesticides Safety Directive, testing for approval was also carried out by University Horticultural Services, University of Wales, Bangor.

I think I must have a bit of French blood in me somewhere, because I totally ignore the EU Directive!!

It is still readily available in the UK, and personally I find it invaluable.

valmarg

kipex

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 22:32:18 »

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 23:21:34 »
It's not in any way illegal to use it for any purpose in the UK. It's illegal to SELL it as an anti-fungal.

The only reason it's illegal to advertise it for such use is because of the new testing costs which Armillatox declined to take. It's the same rule that now makes it illegal to claim any medicinal properties of many herbal remedies.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 23:23:57 by djbrenton »

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007, 14:22:14 »
Oh sorry DJB, I knew there was something silly about it and the EU.

As OH frequently tells me - 'its not very often you're right Mrs, but you're wrong again.'

In this case I'm glad I am, as we find it very useful against vine weevil eggs.

valmarg

nenerover

• Not So New ...
  • All home grown
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007, 16:03:44 »
Hi folks,
            don't forget that this fungus can be walked in from another plot by you or anyone else.
regards Peter
Sunshine and gentle rain to you all.
Peter J Bennett

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal