Author Topic: Does anyone else's PSB look like this???  (Read 1287 times)

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
Does anyone else's PSB look like this???
« on: November 15, 2007, 23:10:38 »
I don't know the variety as these are spares from my lottie neighbour.  They are now taller than me (not difficult at 5'3" but some look like they are getting ready to produce sprouts - is this normal???

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Does anyone else's PSB look like this???
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2007, 10:59:48 »
5 feet is a bit tall. They'll certainly need staking firmly.

Not much help, but these are ours.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2007, 11:02:40 by tim »

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 15:52:16 »
ours have sprouted , we have 2 pieces developing already, plants we were given so don't know the variety but definitely purple  :o ;D

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 18:03:12 »
Yes. Some sprouted ages ago, 2 months. ended up feeding it to the hens as it had blown. Not gonna bother with it again. The rest is 4 1/2ft tall, takes loads of room for what I fear will be little harvest.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 18:57:52 »
Be fair? Our Autumn plants are long gone, but Spring varieties should not be giving edible shoots now?

Never give up - a very productive plant.

Blame planting time/variety?

Yes - they are not for a small garden.

SMP1704

• Hectare
  • Isleworth, Middlesex
    • Allotment Life
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 21:41:38 »
Thanks everyone

They are well staked but with bamboo - don't know if that will hold, but I don't think there is enough space in the 'house' to do much about it now.

I suppose I'll just go with it, if they want to give me spears in December who am I to complain ;D

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 21:55:21 »
I have three manky looking plants, but I'm not giving up. They were started rather late and the caterpillars almost decimated them, but now new growth leads me to believe I may, after all, get some spears come March/April. They do take up a lot of room in my small garden, but I'm hoping they'll be finished by the time I want to transplant next year's parsnips, which are designated for their spot.

Tricia

silverbirch

• Acre
  • My body is a temple - but so is the acropolis.
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2007, 22:02:28 »
With daffodils out, and apple trees blossoming, what chance does the old PSB have?  The Early Rudolph is often ready in the new year, so it's only a couple of months early.  (How depressing is that?)

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007, 20:48:54 »
I sowed a packet of psb (forget where I bought it, sorry) that claimed to have mixed varieties, early, middle and late. I have 9 plants and gave my daughter 5. Time will show if it really spreads the season out, but who can tell which seeds germinated and which I grew on, and whether or not I unconsciously selected out the extremes.....  So far a few sprouts have been picked and eaten, but basically they are all doing nothing at the moment and are about 4'6"  tall and cringing in case of pigeon attack (must stake and net).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal