Author Topic: GRUBS IN TURNIPS  (Read 1843 times)

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
GRUBS IN TURNIPS
« on: July 02, 2004, 12:05:30 »
Hi all,
just lifted  one or two Turnips from my lottie and found they have grubs in them :( .Does anyone know what is still available as a deterrant to this problem,we used to be able to get derris etc.but I am no longer sure of what is now available.....regards Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:GRUBS IN TURNIPS
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 13:52:45 »
We can still get Derris in powder form...don't know if it comes any other way.  Other than that, no help I'm afraid...flea beetles liked the leaves for a while, but other than that our turnips are clean and white.  :-\

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2004, 12:26:35 »
Hi Alan  :D
            I have had the same problem, I think they are the maggots of the cabbage root fly,  ??? Remember turnips are members of the brassica family & are attractive to the said beasts. I have sown another couple of rows for winter use & have covered them with net curtains (in a very fetching pattern)  :o you can use enviromesh to give the same protection.Hope this helps
                                           Adrian.

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2004, 15:01:26 »
thank you both for  replies...thanks Adrian,we tend to forget about turnips being brassica related,I wll try the net curtain trick I have stacks of the stuff,got it cheapo from a charity shop a while back.regards.....Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal