Author Topic: seaweed - the legality of collecting it from the beach  (Read 12830 times)

tartonterro

• Acre
seaweed - the legality of collecting it from the beach
« on: November 10, 2007, 21:04:36 »
thinking of going on a collecting trip to the local beach to see if i can pick up some seaweed to use on the allotment and the garden and i was just wondering if anyone knows if it is legal just to help yourself to the stuff laying on the beach?

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
Re: seaweed - the legality of collecting it from the beach
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2007, 22:28:10 »
It depends on your local bye-laws.
In some places it is OK to take dead seaweed as long as you have permission to transport from the foreshore. You will need permission from the harbour master to take living seaweed and you will need to discuss the quantity and reason for removal. In other places it is not allowed under any circumstances.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2007, 00:48:04 »
If it's ok, go after a storm, as there will be more washed up.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 16:02:07 »
Hi

I collect tons of the stuff regularly!  Well - maybe not tons - I do exagerate a bit sometimes!

I generally take about 10 fertilizer sackfuls at a time!  Main difficulty is getting them up the beach!

I have never asked permission.  The Council get funny if you take their stones or sand but as far as I know sea weed is just there for the taking!  I generally get mine early in the morning before the dog walkers have been out as you can get quite a bit of dog poo if you are not careful.

I used to live in Worthing where there is so much washed up the place smells quite disgusting and if you go in the water you have to wade through this ghastly mush for quite a few yards!

It is brilliant stuff though.  I don't wash it I just put it on top of the beds for the rain to wash it and then hopefully it dries (it does pong a bit!) and when it has dried I chop it with a spade so that it is not in long lengths and can be dug in easier.

I plant potatoes straight on to the sea weed with a bit over them also and this (I think) keeps slugs at bay - not completely but I don't think they like seaweed.

Good luck with your collections.  I doubt that anyone can stop you from taking it.  It is brilliant stuff and very plentiful!

Old Bird

:o ;D

OllieC

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Nairn
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007, 19:25:59 »
I've checked with dad who used to have a company selling dried edible seaweed. If it's cast, then it's usually the local authority (or whoever owns the land at the top of the beach). If it's growing, apparently you have to talk to the coastguard but they'd probably rather not know!

He made the comment that if you're not sure to ask, go collect some & the person you need permission from is the person who tells you to stop!

One proviso - if there's any kind of conservation work, or it's a nature reserve, it would be irresponsible to collect it as it's part of a valuable ecosystem. I prefer a beach with seaweed on it personally. Much better for wildlife. It is very good garden food, but also a great way to get more stones on your veggie patch!

tartonterro

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007, 20:27:18 »
thanks for the that ollieC - liked your dads comment about if im not sure - wouldnt be taking a lot from one spot - know from previous experiance of collecting dead heather for my mum to us for her pigeons - once i got permission i made sure i collected small amounts from a lot of areas that way it didnt look as though anything had been taken

petengade

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007, 20:54:14 »
Old Bird, my father used to get his seawed from Worthing beach also, and grow his potato's the same as you on his allotment at Elm Grove, he told me that in the 1930's the farmers took cartloads for their land until the council began to charge them, so today they're stuck with the smelly stuff.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:43:12 »
Hi Peteangade!

A blast from the past - memories of Worthing - I lived there 25 years ago. There were so many tons of the stinking stuff!!  I don't remember ever using it when I lived there but here in Minehead we don't get that much unless the tides are right and then there is an abundance!  I have never met anyone else collecting it though!  A number of people always ask what I am doing out of curiosity - probably because when I am in my gardening clothes I look like the proverbial "Bag Lady"!!

Best wishes!

Old Bird

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 13:05:21 »
Vraic again?

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2007, 10:32:24 »
Vraic again?

Tim!  Does this mean an answer to me?  Don't understand can you elaborate please!

Dim Old Bird!

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2007, 10:48:07 »
Vraic is the name for seaweed fertiliser used in  the channel islands. Vraicking is the word used to describe gathering seaweed so would probably of been more appropriate as that is what this thread is about.

Old bird

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:13 »
Thanks for that Baccy Man!

I am completely useless when people use clever words!  I will remember when I am down the beach next that vraicing is what I am doing!!

Old Bird

;D

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 17:21:27 »
Not just you Old bird I was sat here scratching my head.  ???   ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 18:12:09 »
It's not really a clever word just uncommon & I am one of those people that has a head full of useless information & can read & write in numerous languages so I can contribute to most conversations.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal