Author Topic: Fungus ID  (Read 4398 times)

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
Fungus ID
« on: November 01, 2007, 21:04:20 »
A large circle (or rather semi-circle) of these apppeared in my lawn. They are about 10 cm wide. I hope this is not the dreaded honeyfungus?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
Re: Fungus ID
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 21:45:33 »
It's one of the fairy ring fungi (there are quite a few of them) but i can't put my finger on the species. It's definitely not honey fungus.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 01:12:42 »
Strangely enough they are edible, but and its a BIG BUT, another fungi grows in among the fairy ring fungus and is very toxic.

The danger is the two are very difficult to tell apart unless you are very knowlegable 8)

I am glad you posted this as I forgot I am going on a wild food forage on saturday....fankoo ;D ;D ;) 
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2007, 17:12:39 »
I hope this is not the dreaded honeyfungus?

I will try and remember my camera tomorrow, We have an infestation of honey fungus were I am working at the moment. I will take a picture and post it for further reference. We had a tree surgeon around to find out why some of the trees are looking out of sorts and he pointed it out to me.

Still all is not lost if we feed and cultivate the soil so the plants and trees take up more nourishment, they will pick up again. I shall still have a go at it with some jeyes fluid and see what that does to it.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2007, 19:20:56 »
ACE. not Jeyes, Armillatox is better.  If you go to armillatox.com, you will find the dilution rate to use against honey fungus.

valmarg

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2007, 20:12:48 »
Thanks for that, The bit of ground I will use it on is empty of plants at the moment, I was going to open it up for a new planting area next spring. So I thought jeyes was worth a try, but I will try your idea instead. The reason the fungus has stablished itself there, was because a former gardener stacked a load of old tree trunks in the area. I have burnt all of them now.

I expect in the end I will have to get the digger in and move the soil to the bonfire/work area then empty all the compost heaps back in the hole. The garden is very well established with trees over 150 years old and some of them very rare. The couple that own it are very keen to have the old garden brought back to its former glory. Trouble is it covers three and a half acres so it will be a few years yet as I only do the winter months  and a girl only weeds and waters it in the summer.

Still, the owners are multi millionaires and do not mind spending their money on the garden even if it is only a holiday home.

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2007, 00:28:26 »
I don't know about ID, but there is an excellent site at http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/ - Wild About Britain. There are keen naturalists etc there that could help.
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 22:10:39 »
Armillatox is the only thing that will control honey fungus but it is not now approved so we should not be using it for fungus.(that's what they say) it was introduced by a Mrs Victoria Bray back in the 60s. You must remember that honey fungus travels great distances as boot lace fungus so it is likely to be over a large part of the garden. The fungus toadstool is difficult to identify but if you take a small sliver of bark from the tree or shrub at soil level you can see and smell the fungus between the layers.

ACE. not Jeyes, Armillatox is better.  If you go to armillatox.com, you will find the dilution rate to use against honey fungus.

valmarg

Baccy Man

• Hectare
  • Powys, Wales
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2007, 01:24:49 »
It looks like Cantharellus Cibarius
If it is then it is edible, more commonly known as a girolle they are considered to be one of the better edible mushrooms around.
The yellowish flesh has a lovely faint fragrance of apricot. Girolles have an exquisite, rather hot taste. It is a very versatile mushroom. It also has an above average shelf life.

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 20:26:16 »
I don't know about ID, but there is an excellent site at http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/ - Wild About Britain. There are keen naturalists etc there that could help.

Its a great site MV, its answered lots of queries for me too........very informative even if there's no questions to ask.
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2007, 22:02:22 »
Armillatox is the only thing that will control honey fungus but it is not now approved so we should not be using it for fungus.(that's what they say)
[quote

Sorry laurieuk, but there is nothing to stop you using Armillatox against honey fungus.

I have had my wrist slapped on this on another site.

There is no reason why you should not use Armillatox for all the uses on armillatox.com.

The only restriction on the Armillatox company is that it cannot state on the 'tin' (bottle) that it can be used for any other purpose, other than cleaning patio furniture/patios within the ludicrous EU.

It is still readily available in the UK.

I still use, and intend to use Armillatox for all the uses on armillatox.com.

Stuff the EU ;D ;D ;D

valmarg

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal