Author Topic: Tall beans, short canes  (Read 1752 times)

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
Tall beans, short canes
« on: July 02, 2004, 09:38:49 »
My Cobra french beans are fast reaching the tops of their canes! I read on a seed site that they only get to 4 foot, so having 4 foot canes, I though I would be ok, but now I'm worried that I was wrong.

Can I just train them down one of the other canes (small wigwam)?
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
Re:Tall beans, short canes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2004, 10:23:07 »
Hi Moggle,
              I grow cobra  climbing dwarf beans they are called bobby beans for some reason round here They are a great Cropper..
I Grow mine up an 8ft frame and some get to the top of it..
So I think you might need some sort of extensions on Your canes ;D .
But if it is the first time You have grown them I think You will be delighted with em re taste etc..
I used to grow Blue Lake as well but went over to all cobra .
Cheers ,,Jim
Cheers .. Jim

JerryB

• Quarter Acre
  • I LOVE WEEDOL!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2004, 13:27:38 »
Should you (and me 'cause i've got some too!!) treat them like runner beans - ie, pinch out the top shoot when they get to the top of the canes to encourage bean and not lateral growth???  ???

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2004, 13:49:19 »
I was wondering about pinching the tops out....my beans have now reached the tops and are heading skywards!  So if I pinch them out rather than let them flop all over the place....will I get even more flowers?  ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2004, 15:07:30 »
I too have switched to Cobra from Blue lake, and we love em! When they reach the top of the canes if I remember I pinch out the tops!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2004, 13:09:59 »
A 4' cane into the ground is only going to give you 3' above ground....? You could gain a couple of feet by extending the canes with shorter ones connected to the originals with a piece of hose 3-4" long of the right diameter. You will need to fasten sideways and length ways with string; not ideal, but will give you that bit extra. Trying to encourage them to grown down the adjacent cane is a no-no. The plants natural habit is to climb, so it's only going to turn round and head upwards again!
You could also extend laterally from where your canes join at the top; just don't poke your eye out as you pick your dinner!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2004, 13:13:18 by kenkew »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal