Author Topic: hens point of lay  (Read 2444 times)

lyndon.nelson

• Not So New ...
hens point of lay
« on: November 06, 2007, 17:25:26 »
hello everyone and thankyou for your previous info on buying and keeping hens now ive got some of my hens (cream crested legbars,siver laced wyanndotts,polish and brown leghorns)there all about 15-17 weeks old will they all start laying at the same timeish or are some that dont lay until much later. im also after some indian game and some naked kneck if anyone can put in touch with any breeders also the chickens ive got are all in seperate runs 
regards LYNDON

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: hens point of lay
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 12:29:01 »
You might struggle to get eggs this year. They take a good couple of weeks to settle to their new home. My hens don't lay as much in winter[depends on hours of daylight]. When i buy pol's i usually get them end of March, by end of May the eggs are pretty regular.

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007, 14:36:28 »
My hens don't lay as much in winter[depends on hours of daylight].

I was also under the impression that hens don't normally lay very much in the winter, but we are currently getting between 35-40 eggs a day from our 48 hens.  Maybe they don't realise it's winter!!!   ::) ;D

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2007, 16:44:14 »
Thats unusual you Luckydog ;D.What sort are they

luckydog

• Half Acre
  • Montgomeryshire
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2007, 17:00:25 »
Sorry, I don't know the breed, but they are a reddish brown colour with cream flecks. 

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2007, 22:01:03 »
I have 6 white leghorns that are now 7 months old. They started laying at about 22 weeks. I am getting 6 large white eggs daily. My 6 black rocks have started laying this past week and have increased to 3-4 brown eggs daily. They are now 6 months old so I expect them all to be laying over the next week or so. 10 eggs from 12 hens daily suits me. They are thoroughbreds and prolific layers that should lay for 5 years plus. (Average 300 eggs per year per hen).

http://www.glencroftpoultry.co.uk/

http://www.blpbooks.co.uk/links/Poultry_Suppliers.php?

You may get more information about your breeds from here.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal