Author Topic: How do I fool ITV.com into thinking I'm in the UK?  (Read 1374 times)

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
How do I fool ITV.com into thinking I'm in the UK?
« on: October 31, 2007, 15:07:36 »
There's a good reason, honest...

Are you sitting comfortably?  The I'll begin.

I'm a fan of Doc Martin & there's a new series being shown on ITV.  We were watching it at mine on Monday when OH got a call from a neighbour to say they'd disturbed burglars trying to break into his house - mad scramble & off we went - turned out to be a bit of a strom in a tea cup, but..... we missed the last 15mins of Doc Martin.

So, I go to ITV.com & try & watch the episode online, but after loading up the right drivers etc, it came back & told me I couldn't watch it 'cos I wasn't in the UK.  This happens because I access the fast internet via work provided kit, we have a .com domain & I think our servers or internet gateway are hosted in Germany - Napster insists I download the German software & multimap gives me adverts in German.

Is there any way anyone knows of getting round this, or has Cheshire ceded from the rest of the UK without telling me?

Thanks

is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Riffster

• Half Acre
  • Chief Wormer
Re: How do I fool ITV.com into thinking I'm in the UK?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 15:13:24 »
Its done on a technical process called "Whois lookup" based upon your providers IP address range,  and where they are registered.   So I doubt you can get around that easily.

I'll pm you.

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 15:16:08 »
You could use a UK proxy, but you need to be fairly technically competent to set it up, and know someone with a proxy you can use (so not that easily).

Or you could download it from somewhere else .....

Dan

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 16:44:02 »
Hmmmm,  last times I was technically competent with PC stuff, MSDOS v3 was the Biz.

Perhaps I'll see if it gets shown on ITV3 sometime & get a friend to video it.

Sorry, still laughing at the thought of ever being technically competent again.

Thanks for the explanations. both.

Cheers
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal