Author Topic: Angelica  (Read 1896 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Angelica
« on: June 30, 2004, 18:14:58 »
Not so much a foody question, but a herby question.  :P  My Angelica in the garden is over 6 foot tall and has been in flower.  The seeds are drying nicely and I was curious if any of you herby experts had any good ideas what I could do with the seeds.  Should I gather and keep in a jar, or should I gather, and offer you lot angelica seeds to grow?  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
Re:Angelica
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2004, 09:04:36 »
EJ
they germinate like weeds if you sow them now but seem to "go off" quite quickly.

I tried it a few years ago and had lots of plants but couldn't give them away when I explained they grew to 6'

The same is true of lovage, mine is now 8'!!!!!

Phil

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2004, 12:23:34 »
Oops I've just sown lovage, where shall I put it? Does it look pretty at all? Would it do well in a container?

Jeremy

rdak

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2004, 13:09:02 »
EJ, be careful handling angelica. There's an article in this month's KG mag -someone got badly burned (possibly scarred for life) from the sap in parsnip foliage and they mentioned that this could also happen with hogsweed and angelica, plus a few others. Problem was caused by the sap combined with the very sunny weather.

spade

• Not So New ...
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004, 13:37:28 »
Hi EJ i,ve just read in my book that you can  make an infusion of 20 grams of  finely chopped dried root or 15 grammes of seeds to a litre of boiling water one cupto be taken after meals as a general tonic . it says its brill for anaemia,loss  of apetite,migraines vertigo, menstruation problems  but it says you must get the dosage correct espesialy if taken before bed as it can cause insomnia . good luck  I have insomnia as it is  lol.Angie
i keep digging but still aint reached Australia!!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2004, 08:59:38 »
Derbex,

My Lovage is 8' tall and 6' across after 3 years (photo to follow)

I think it would require a very large pot!!

Phil

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2004, 16:46:26 »
I read that Ross so will beware.  Mind you, the chance of cutting it down in the sunshine at the moment is most unlikely!  We have had rain, wind, more rain, thunder and drizzle!  I am hoping to leave the tall flowering spikes through the winter as they really are most statuesque!  Anyone want any seeds?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal