Author Topic: Wind power on the allotment  (Read 3407 times)

davee52uk

• Acre
Wind power on the allotment
« on: November 09, 2007, 18:28:44 »
I have just seen a picture as titled above. User philgoben has constructed a nice little wind turbine. Some questions:

1. You don't seem to have slip rings - does this work O.K. without them? Doesn't the wire get wrapped round the post

2. The post isn't very high. Books on wind generator state that these should be at least 20ft; again does this work?

3. What do you use the generated power for?

4. You have also a chimney coming out of the roof - for a stove?

I would like to know as I have (partly) made a generator about 20 ft high with blades about 75cm across. I only got so far and ran into a series of difficulties and so have left this for a bit.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Re: Wind power on the allotment
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 18:31:56 »
Don't you need planning permission for that? ;D

philgoben

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 21:16:04 »
Hi There Yes the turbine does work It is used to power lights, charge battery's for the light in the chicken pen and run the alarm system. There is no slip ring as they they are unreliable. yes the wire does get wrapped round the pole but i just get a cane and push it around about once a week. It produces a max of 10watts but that is enough for what i need. Would be nice to have one about 2000 watt for heating then i would not need the stove. However there is 7000 volt pylon wires above the turbine so i will not be putting it any higher.
The Whole turbine cost about £15 to build using a stepper motor from ebay and the rest i had arround.
Pm or email me if you wish
Phil

philgoben

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 21:24:36 »
planning permission emm I asked the site manager and there was no problem. This is  a private site not council   

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 22:35:47 »
Im jealous......I want a woodburner at home. Let alone my lottie shed :(

Sounds great though........ ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007, 00:08:16 »
Oh that sort of wind power... I thought it was another Bean Thread....
 :-[

davee52uk

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2007, 11:39:33 »
Thanks for the information. I may go back to working on mine during the Winter.  I would liek to use it as a water pump but as the site is on a natural slope this may not be necessary.

Anyway thanks for an interesting use of alternative technology.

dtw

• Hectare
  • What grows, You decide!
    • Classic & Cheesy TV adverts and other funny stuff
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2007, 14:10:39 »
Where is the picture?

philgoben

• Not So New ...
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2007, 20:23:22 »
click on view gallery below my user name for the picture.
It's a bit out of date as i have re built the turbine now with 4 stronger blades and balanced
everything. Please if you are going to build one don't use plastic for the blades as they self destruct in wind speeds over 30mph. As for the stove there is quite a few members who have these, some with large diameter pipes along the length of the green house and fans to circulate heat i'll try to get some photos if anyone is interested

annppayne

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2007, 09:05:58 »
Viewed your gallery and I am very impressed with your allotment.   You are obviously technically minded and have the practicality to carry it out.

I am challenged in that area.   

However I am going to erect a frame for the blackberry bushes I recently bought.   Do you have any tips?  Will report back when the job is completed.   Probably with banaged fingers as it will involve the use of a saw and hammer !    ::)

DavidW

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2007, 17:58:45 »
Phil,
      can you post the drawings / instructions on the turbine build and any additional info

Thanks in advance
David

philgoben

• Not So New ...
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2007, 21:15:50 »
Give me a few days and I'll put something together, not sure if this is appropriate for this forum so  may be I'll put a page on my web site and pass the link on. There is lots of good info on the net you might want to try like www.otherpower.com
Phil

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal