Author Topic: Runner beans.....  (Read 1633 times)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Runner beans.....
« on: June 30, 2004, 13:04:42 »
...are covered in flowers, but the peach coloured runners are smothered in black fly!  As I can jet them off with the hose as we have no water, can I spray them with something?  And if I don't, will I get any beans or will they be yucky and deformed??

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re:Runner beans.....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004, 13:19:42 »
Soft soap gets rid of them, although you might have to keep doing it, from other threads I think you can also use pure soap flakes, but, from experience, don't use washing up liquid. All of these are diluted in water.

Jeremy

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004, 13:29:27 »
Next year try growing nastutiums in front of them EJ, I find they prefer them to the beans! Could always do the hand squishing method, but a bit time consuming!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004, 14:51:43 »
Hi All :D
           Emma ,  Go to Tesco & buy Grannys Original Soap Flakes for £1.25p a box .
 Dissolve  2 teaspoons in a cup of hot water, then make this up to a litre with cold water, and spray the little b****s :o .this worked well for me and my beans were covered in them.
                                                  Adrian.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2004, 18:12:42 »
Thanks all, I am off to the shops tomorrow so I shall pick up some soap flakes and give it a whirl.  

I will have to try that Doris - must make a note to get some seeds.  I guess I could plant them around my broadies also.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal