Author Topic: Allotment newbies!  (Read 1983 times)

Potty Plotters

Allotment newbies!
« on: October 27, 2007, 17:16:34 »
Oh dear what have we done?  Two weeks ago we were offered a quarter plot to which we said yes.  A week later we get a phone call saying, "Would you like a half plot? To which we said, Yes!  Where do we start?  The plot hasn't been worked for a couple of seasons and there is a good covering of weeds that need to be sorted out.  Any advice would be welcome but advice on starting out on allotment is essential for the Potty Plotters  ???

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
Re: Allotment newbies!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 17:30:45 »
hiya, guys, welcome to the site
make a paper plan, mark beds and paths out, cover the paths and start digging your beds, good time to take a plot on  ;D
happy digging

torquil

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 17:44:50 »
 hi guys just to say welcome to the site,any questions you have you have come to the right site .I aree with Manic Scousers plan first then start digging hope you enjoy yourselves. ;D ;D

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2007, 23:56:11 »
Welcome to the site...
 ;D

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2007, 00:36:49 »
Welcome...and just a couple of words of encouragement. I took on half a plot a few years back and it took me about 6 months to sort it ut. But once i did half wasn't enough.. I now have two plots in two different villages so i can grow everything i want. It is amazing how quickly you run out of space.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2007, 10:08:34 »
Welcome to A4A- love your name, would suit a lot of us here! As said above, you've got your plot at a good time, as the weeds have stopped growing now. Depending on how much time you've got, I would strim the weeds down and dig one bed at a time, covering with mulch, green manure or plastic as you go. Try a search for "clearing plot"- we've all been there!

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2007, 10:12:27 »
Just like to add my Welcome to A4A. Whatever you may need to know the answers will be here. Good luck.
Lorna.

Potty Plotters

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2007, 17:52:05 »
What a welcome and thank you all for your words of encouragement and advice.  I'm sure we'll be pestering you for more advice in the future.  Thanks again. :)

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2007, 19:34:59 »
Welcome PP you'll fit in here all right  with a name like potty, cut down to ground level and dig them weeds out, yes it will take time , a little at a time and everything will come together in time.  ;D ;D ;D
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2007, 22:39:48 »
And welcome PP from me too.  :)
Like the Manics said...Great time to get a plot. Even on wet and cold days, take time out to plan your plot. If there are no definite pathways or beds, just walk around and see which routes would be the best to suite your needs. With good forward planning you won't need to do the layout twice.
Happy Digging, planning and plotting  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal