Author Topic: Freesias  (Read 2426 times)

YorkshireLass

• Not So New ...
Freesias
« on: October 26, 2007, 13:00:50 »
Hi all,

Have just bought a pack of freesia corms on a whim, but now I've got them home remember why I haven't had them for so long - they're tricky and last time I tried disappeared without trace in my border!

I was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to force them for indoor winter / spring flowering. I don't have a greenhouse. I've searched the web, but little useful info comes up. The instructions on the packet say to plant indoors in pots sept-nov, but no instructions on where to go from there, or if that will result in early flowering. I also don't know if they've been heat-treated or not (corms are from  Unwins if that helps),

TIA

Charlotte

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Freesias
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 13:17:36 »
I always had the same problem with freesias, they need to overwinter in a greenhouse or a coldframe. Can you make a temporary frame? Or do you have an unheated conservatory?

Sorry not much help am I.....
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

quizzical1

• Acre
  • Ceanothus in Northampton
    • My allotment and other garden related things
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 15:48:01 »
I bought some freesia corms last year and forgot about them, so they didn't get planted until early this year.
Most where planted about 4" deep in garden troughs, with some lilies, and a few were planted alone in a round bulb planter at about 2" deep, which was kept indoors.
They all flowered this summer (and they were beautiful), but the ones kept indoors didn't do so until after I put them out on the decking, and quite a time after the others, by which time they had gone quite leggy. The outdoor planter ones are still in the containers, which have now been overplanted with winter pansies.
Hope this helps
(Oh by the way, my mother told me they were notoriously difficult to grow)
Grow your own and enjoy the fruits of your labours,
Regards Alan.

http://achalmers-quizzical1.blogspot.com/

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 19:00:20 »
I used to have quite patchy success with Freesias - some would flower, some come up blind and others... nothing at all. The packets always said the corms had been treated to only last one season, so I'd dig them up and sling them and buy new every year. Then one year, none came up at all. I assumed they'd all died or rotted or been eaten so I didn't bother even looking for them. The following year I didn't buy any at all - so imagine my shock when I had the most abundant display ever!

Two things struck me about this:

a) contrary to the packet blurb, they've not been treated; and

b) they're sold too young and might need some extra time in the ground before reaching flowering size

Either way, I wouldn't give up on the ones you've planted, just in case...
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 18:50:09 »
I tried grwing them in outdoor pots a while back and had no success. Nothing appeared, yet when the pots were emptied the bulbs (actualy corms) were just sitting there. I cleaned them up and stored them in a net bag i the garage. I kind of forgot about them until a couple of weeks ago when i read something about them in a magazine. I decided to take the advice in the magazine and plant them up, realising that i had done plenty of things wrong with them before.

This is what I learned:

They need the protection and warmth of a greenhouse or conservatory to perform well, but before that they need a period of cold (about 3 or 4 weeks) to get them going. Then move to a warmer place

They must not be planted deep. Freesia corms should be planted with their 'noses' just below or at soil level, no deeper.

Give them space to grow. Allow at least 2" between the corms in the pots.

Compost or soil must be well drained. Add horticultural sand or grit to the planting meduim.

Assuming you have viable corms, following this advice should produce good results. My corms are old, so I am hopefull, but not expectant of success!

I hope this helps.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal