Author Topic: Clematis success  (Read 3212 times)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
Clematis success
« on: June 29, 2004, 20:59:03 »
Everyone probably already knows this and it's quite possible I'm the last one to discover the secret to growing clematis successfully!

A couple of weeks ago I bought two clematis plants. I have a fence that needs covering but at the base of the fence are concrete slabs and under that is building rubble. No good for any self respecting plant to live in so the clematis shall spend it's life living in a pot.

At the nursery I got talking to another customer and he said, as I already knew, that clematis like their roots kept cool. He suggested covering the soil around where the clematis is planted with old roof tiles or something similar. Until now I have always used a mulch of bark chippings but my clematis never seem to thrive, they only grow sluggishly. So I took on board his advice and have covered the soil with old broken teracotta pots. Wow and this clematis is in a hurry to get up the fence or what! I swear it's grown about a foot in the last two weeks. I'm well chuffed  ;D
Green fingers are the extension of a verdant heart - Russell Page

http://www.news2share.co.uk

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re:Clematis success
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 21:35:48 »
Nope.  You're not the last to know.  I didn't know either.  I'm hoping to propogate bits of my clematis so I'll use this advice.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 21:59:08 »
Just remember that slugs and snails love to hide underneath such things and that despite all you read about Clematis wilt, the majority of the time failure is caused by mollusc damage to the stem.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 22:02:58 »
Palustris that may be another benefit of using tiles or pots, my theory is that the slugs will hide on the under side of the pots and all I simply have to do is turn them over to pick them off. A lot easier than digging through bark chippings to find them!

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 22:13:54 »
Easy with one or two clematis, but a bit time consuming with over 80 of them!
Gardening is the great leveller.

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004, 14:28:56 »
Hi! I've only just spotted this posting and I ADORE clematis. I have a tiny garden but 8 clematis, and I have just ordered more. (I wish I could have 80 though!)

Personally I plant my clematis behind other plants so that the base of the plant is always in shade.

To Jesseveve - I am so pleased your clematis is doing well but I would recommend that you check under the broken plant pots on a regular basis, to clear out any unwelcomed guests!!!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Jesse

• Hectare
    • News2Share
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2004, 16:05:37 »
80! Well I'm not quite that crazy yet!!  ;)  I did check this morning and thankfully nothing hiding yet but will take your advice and check regularly. I am known to hunt about at night on a regular basis with torch in hand looking for the dreaded slugs, my hedgehogs don't seem to eat enough of them so I'm on the war path with anything remotely slimey. Thanks for the advice.  :)

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2004, 16:14:10 »
Hi Jesseveve!

I think Palustris said that he had 80! With my current 8, and I think 6 more that I have just ordered, that will keep me going. Well for a little while anyway.....

Good luck with the slugs! Lucky little hedgehogs!
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2004, 22:45:36 »
I used to have troubel with clematis. Turned out to be lack of patience, since i have the right soil for them in my garden (alkaline and well drained is what they like and i have it!). A couple of plants i cant STOP growing (a montana and an armandii).

Thing was for a few years they just sat in the ground and did nothing then all of a sudden WHOOSH  they'd obviously settled in and got growing.

Shading the roots certainly helps though i havent worried too much, and have even had one growing with its base in full sun and its done fine. Worth trying if you've had trouble growing them though.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2004, 15:00:50 »
Yes got to be one of my favorites, I've got 9, in my small garden, but thats back and front, theres still room for loads more, I'm letting them scramble about, although there's 2 growing up walls.Don't you just love their happy flowers, does the old heart good.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2004, 16:53:08 »
Hi Val! That sounds just like me! I've five in the back garden, and three in the front. And more on order..... Love them - especially since they all flower at different times!

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2004, 17:10:34 »
And all the different colours, the only ones I'm a bit iffy about are the montanas, thats only because I've nowhere suitable to let them do their thing, they are to heavy and need so much cutting back.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Plocket

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2004, 17:16:11 »
I planted two in my front garden last year. They are still slow to get going but are quite happy growing up a row of four fir trees. I am half hoping they will kill the fir trees off but it is highly unlikely!

The ones I have ordered are little ones suitable for patio pots, and hanging baskets. Sounds interesting, can't wait for them to come!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal