Author Topic: Dividing Bamboo  (Read 1590 times)

wetandcold

• Half Acre
    • Not on a gardening theme!
Dividing Bamboo
« on: October 25, 2007, 15:10:32 »
Hi,

I have a black bamboo (Phylostachys Nigra - possibly spelled wrongly...) and have plans to try and divide the clump as it is quite large and I need another clump in the front garden. It has been growing in the same spot for about 4 years. Has anybody has any success splitting bamboo like this and, if so, what is the best time of the year to go about it.

I have had lot's of conflicting advice from family / friends and would appreciate any comments!

Many thanks,

Trevor

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Dividing Bamboo
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2007, 22:32:12 »
I do not know the rights and wrongs of splitting and planting. But this time last year I dug a huge big clump of black bamboo out with a jcb, then we cut the root ball with an axe and planted 15 new clumps in a row. They all took and new shoots came up this year. Plus the little bits left in the original place started shooting again.

I do believe they do not like a change in ph so check the soil in their new spot.

isbister

• Half Acre
  • Middlesex
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:57:38 »
What Ace said. You shouldn't have any trouble dividing now. You'll probably need heavy digging equipment - axe, mattock, sharp spade, Ace's JCB would be useful

wetandcold

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:30:17 »
Thanks for the info - I'll give it a go on Sunday then!

No JCB but I do have an axe and, if all else fails, I can rely on my Incredible Hulk-like bad mood / temper... All it takes is for it to start raining again!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:05:55 »
Now you are supposed to talk nicely to your plants, but bamboo will take a good swearing at and not be offended ;D

twinkletoes

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 11:09:32 »
Where are you wetandcold?  I only ask because its gonna be raining in the lower half of the country on Sunday   ::) (according to BBC1 this morning).  Good luck with brute force and swearing - I gave up trying to deal with my bamboo - too tough - even with an axe.  Could have done with ACE's JCB ....... where do you park it ACE? 

Twinkletoes

wetandcold

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 17:59:10 »
I'm in Glasgow - not in the lower half of the country but it will still be raining as always...!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal