Author Topic: Just Starting On A 5 Rod (1/2 Plot) Allotment  (Read 4232 times)

matthew2riches

Just Starting On A 5 Rod (1/2 Plot) Allotment
« on: October 20, 2007, 20:18:09 »
Hi,

I am just starting on my very own allotment.  I purchased it in July but was unable to start anything for a couple of months!!  I have marked out a pathway going right down the middle of the allotment from old pallet wood steaked in the ground and i am going to grow grass for the pathway.  I have built a small cupboard type shed and fitted an alarm.  And have also built a 6 foot x 6 foot greenhouse frame to be covered with plastic sheeting.

I am confused now what to do - i have started turning over the soil in both sides (about 1/3 of the way down).  Is it a good idea to mix in lots and lots of compost as my father works for the council recycling centre and can get tonnes!!!  I don't want to spend a lot of money on manure  -  that is the problem.

What do i do???

I will take some pictures tomorrow and post them on here tomorrow night if i remember.
Matthew Riches
An Allotment Newbie - Any Help Greatfully Recieved!!!

matthew2riches

Re: Just Starting On A 5 Rod (1/2 Plot) Allotment
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 20:21:51 »
I have planted 20 strawberry plants through anti-weed matting that i purchased off somebody.

I have also setup the frames to grow my runner beans and french beans and will setup the frames for my peas next year.  How high do peas grow normally?
Matthew Riches
An Allotment Newbie - Any Help Greatfully Recieved!!!

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2007, 20:39:31 »
hiya, matthew, welcome to the site, sounds like you have some good ideas,
as long as it's rotted down compost, that's good to add to the soil, lucky you, to have a free source  ;D
you can plant fruit trees and bushes this time of year, also, garlic and overwintering onins,
 peas depend on the variety you pick, ours are about 4 feet hgh, happy digging  :)

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2007, 23:27:45 »
Hi Matthew, welcome to A4A.
You seem to have made quite some headway already. As M'Scousers say, if you have access to quality compost for free...grab it and get it in, apart from the good it does it also helps raise the soil level which helps with drainage.
 Keep us posted.
Ken.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2007, 08:38:55 »
If you like broad beans, they can go in now, especially Aquadulce.

This may seem a dumb question, but are you removing all weeds as you turn over the soil (or are you lucky, and there aren't any...)

I ask because, working on my allotment yesterday, I found it depressing to have such a good view of three allotments that have virtually disappeared under perennial weeds after their owners did such hard work on them in the spring. They appear to have given up now. Their allotments are so overwhelmed that the contractor who mows the meadow from time to time mowed their allotments.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal