Author Topic: stupid questions alert  (Read 1705 times)

debster

• Hectare
stupid questions alert
« on: October 19, 2007, 19:40:05 »
sorry guys these questions are probably really stupid but

1) my onions are ready for picking now and i understand i have to dry them to keep them but can i just use them fresh from the garden without drying them?

2) brussels are looking good do i pick the whole stem then take the brussels off or if i leave the plant in and take the brussels off will it grow any more?

3) will my clematis and passion flower grow again next year parts of the two plants appear to be dying off/

told you they are probably really thick questions but need all the help i can get cheers
debs

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
Re: stupid questions alert
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2007, 19:59:58 »
No reason why you can't eat a 'fresh onion'. The idea of drying them is so they'll keep. But make sure they are dry first or they'll tend to rot.

Pick your brussels as you need them. Start at the bottom and work up. You will possibly get extra growth but they tend to be 'flowery'...not tight like the first lot. Best to pull the stem when you get the best off, smash it with a lump of wood and compost it.

Not a flower expert but Clematis do sometimes look as though it's no more than a dead stem, but don't be fooled. They have a habit of bouncing back into glorious bloom.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 20:16:08 »
thank you very much, i dont have a lottie only a garden so havent grown massess of onions so they probably will get eaten very quickly but i will check they are dry if i manage to save any, thanks for all the advice will probably still be asking stoopid questions in 20 yrs time though lol  ;D

bionear2

• Half Acre
  • Wigston, Leics
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 22:41:44 »
Debster,

Unless it is hit by a really severe frost your passion flower will be back next year, it would be better in a sheltered spot if its ina pot.

You need to check up on your clematis. If you know what it is, go online and see what pruning group its in, and see how to do it. Some are not pruned, some are cut partially down, and some are completely cut down.

All of them should survive winter without any problem
Why plant rows of 24 lettuces??

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 12:53:39 »
ok i think i still have the packet somewhere does it matter that its climbing up an arch and has woven itself around it would i still need to cut it back, its only just flowered!!  :o

louise stella

• Hectare
  • We're half way there Mum!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2007, 16:08:57 »
If it's just flowered - it would be the type to cut back now! - BUT - as it's new - I would leave all the growth on and wait till spring when it shoots and then cut it back to a bud about 6 inches from the ground.  Ditto the Passion flower - if it survives the winter where you are.   Mulch the base copiously with mulch/compost/leafmould - whatever you have to protect it from the cold.  After a couple of years it will toughen up and cause no problems!

Louise
X
Grow yer bugger grow!

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2007, 16:15:29 »
thank you were both new in this year will mulch tomorrow

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2007, 17:56:46 »
onions, did you mean leave them where they are and pick as you use them. You will have to bring them in otherwise they will freeze and rot. I have a problem with fresh picked onions, they always give me indigestion, but one that has been pulled and 'ripened' in the sun  is no problem.

debster

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2007, 19:53:47 »
no i have picked them and they are spread out on a table in the garden to dry not picking them straight to use, they will probably be in varying states of drying as i use them as i go along, thanks though ace

Clayhithe

• Acre
  • Easy does it
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 10:40:49 »
probably still be asking stoopid questions

There are no stupid questions.
Good gardening!

John

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal