Author Topic: Pretty Poppies  (Read 1686 times)

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
Pretty Poppies
« on: June 29, 2004, 10:35:44 »
We had heaps of poppies pop up completely unexpecetdly this year, and they are now mostly seed heads. Could someone tell me how to harvest them? Should I cut them now, or do they need to be fairly dead? And do they need drying out?? I know nothing ;D Thanks everyone
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Pretty Poppies
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2004, 10:45:16 »
I tend to just leave mine to nature. They will happily self-seed and are fine to sow in autumn.

If you want to sow them elsewhere, I wait til the seed heads go brown, then cut them off and store them in an envelope. You'll get thousands of seeds!
gone to pot :D

bananagirl

• Half Acre
    • Bananagirl's Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 10:47:17 »
Thanks Aqui. I want to put them over the other side of my garden. At the minute they're all down one fence.
Nothing rhymes with orange...
http://downamongtheflowers.blogspot.com/

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 21:33:00 »
I got lovely red poppies this year - growing in my wilderness bit.  I didn't sow them and I don't have neighbours so they're probably a bird donation.  I'm hoping to gather and scatter the seeds.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 23:28:52 »
I have poppies springing up on plot numero two.  This is my corn, bean, squash plot, so I have let them be.  I will let the seed dry on the plants then hopefully harvest them before they spread far and wide over the plot - no chance me thinks - then I shall scatter them underneath my apple trees.  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal