Author Topic: cold frame  (Read 2762 times)

ACE

• Hectare
cold frame
« on: October 18, 2007, 08:14:01 »
I was around the industrial state yesterday and noticed the conservatory builders putting all their triple glaze plastic offcuts in the skip. Can I have a few bits I asked, take what you want we have to pay to tip it.

Now this stuff can be cut easily for cold frame tops, a homemade greenhouse, shed windows etc. It needs to be stapled to timber as it is light and will blow away in the wind  but pallet wood should do.

So if you want a free coldframe etc. Get around to your local conservatory builders.

davee52uk

• Acre
Re: cold frame
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 23:23:25 »
Yes but even better; when the same kind of people are installing double glazing ( or even conservatories) in houses, they take the old windows out. These can be used for making cold frames or even green houses. At the very least they can provide a source of free glass.

Weed-Digga

• Half Acre
  • Slough, BERKS
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2007, 00:19:31 »
We're not allowed glass on our site, but luckily Dad knew someone who was replacing a conservatory roof. Thank you very much!! One newly glazed greenhouse!! The frame came free too!!
If it's Rosie's allotment - how come Muggins here does so much digging?

powerspade

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2007, 20:14:15 »
Our local Council have been fitting new double glazed windows in our area all the old ones were thrown in a skip. One of lottie members salvaged the lot and has built a glass house 16ft x 8ft brilliant job

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 20:23:02 »
Hubby used that plastic for the glazing on my two coldframes he kindly built me. I don't have to worry about smashing the glass, and if the plastic should crack I have lots of replacement pieces for backup  ;D
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal