Author Topic: Mail Order Plants  (Read 6775 times)

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Mail Order Plants
« on: June 28, 2004, 22:34:54 »
I used to buy a lot of plug perennial plants (etc) from Parkers.  Generally, the quality was OK and a month or so of growth did the trick.  This year, the plants were dire - so I complained and they replaced them - with equally bad plants.  Anyone else had success (or failure) with mail order?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re:Mail Order Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 22:39:55 »
My mum and I have had exactly the  same experience with Parkers and have given up on them.  The plants were either dead on arrival, died shortly after arrival, were tiny weeny little sicly things, or just never arrived!  

As I have mentioned before, I have to be pretty desperate for a plant if I go out and buy it so the only gardeny thing I buy mail order now is seeds.  Speaking of which, hey Phil Cooper!!!  I see you have got your 15 minutes of fame.  I saw ya name in the Kitchen Garden mag this month.  You's a star now....can I have your autograph  ;D ;D ;D ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2004, 08:01:04 »
Thanks for the warning - I shall be seeking their explanation.

But all our bulbs from them have been first-rate. = Tim

PS We bought recently from a Telegraph offer & it was a disaster.  
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 16:51:17 by tim »

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2004, 12:21:40 »
I ordered some Anemone Japonica from Womans Weekly and have just checked to see if it says which Nursery they came from but it doesnt.They were really rubbish.Sickly, weedy things.If you haven't a car to get to the Nursery mail order used to be one solution.
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Steven

• Quarter Acre
  • Heaven or hell..?
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2004, 19:39:10 »
I have only ever bought plants once by mail order from Bakker's in Spalding.I ordered a gum tree,acer and loads of ground covering plants.There was no problem with the quality-all of them are still thriving after 4 years(especially the gum which is taller than my house!),but the size was a dissapointment.Granted,the cost was a lot cheaper than garden centre,but acer was a mere twig and the ground cover plants (cannot remember all their names) looked like weeds!

The acer has taken 4 years for it to get to a good size,but prior to me buying it,they hadnt trained it to grow into the classic weeping shape.
My sister borrowed my catalogue and ordered some plants for herself and they were all terrible-infact several died.They did replace them FOC though.

I now prefer to see what exaclly im buying.
Talk to the elbow-its got a point

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2004, 15:06:45 »
I buy a good deal of my plants off of eBay - only every had one duff set which were replaced immediately.  Sometimes the prices reach ridiculous levels, so I just walk away.  But you do get the occasional stonking bargain - like a sambucus 'Black Lace' for £1.50!
AC x
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 18:08:26 »
Hi,
          I get my chrysanthemums From Woolmans and they are always in  A1 Condition ..But they do pack em very well in their own individual sealed Little plastic  containers.
I have had 60 Sprays and 24 standards come this Year and all were in good condition ...
Sorry to hear about Your experiences buying mail order but phone them up and if the replacements are still poor get on to them again . jim
Cheers .. Jim

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 18:20:11 »
Hello, all
I ordered some cannas from Parkers this year and only half grew. I scraped off some compost from the top of their pots to see if there were any signs of life, and to my surprise the tubers weren't rotten and there were tiny shoots coming. However they have been stuck in this state for 2 months! Has anyone any idea why this has happened? What can I do to make them sprout? I've tried moving them between the greenhouse and cold frame, and even put them outside for a while, but still no luck!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2004, 18:25:09 »
Spurdie, my cannas this year were VERY slow!! Has taken them ages to get going and they were inside the greenhouse!
 In the end I gave up on then and threw them out in the garden in disgust! (well, planted them into well manured holes actually!) they are now shooting away, but it still remains to be seen if they actually get any flowers this year! :-\  DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2004, 18:29:35 »
Hi there FOC!
Have you given up on the BBC site too?
As a seasoned canna grower, can you please tell me what to do with the tubers at the end of the year? (assuming they grow!!!) :-\

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2004, 18:30:51 »
Oh! Sorry for calling you FOC, Doris! I've put my specs on now!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2004, 18:38:53 »
Thought you were swearing at me Spurdie!!! :o  :o  :o  :o as in oh FOC!
I put mine into a big pot, before the hard frosts, and keep them in my greenhouse, which is unheated, but bubble wrapped to keep out the frost! Because I am in the South East, I was going to sacrifice a plant this year and cover it with a good mulch and some straw, to see if it survives in the big bad world!
USUALLY they start to sprout early spring for me, and I grow them on until fairly large, then harden them off to put outside. They are VERY heavy feeders and love a well rotted manure lined hole!!  Hope this helps DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Spurdie

• Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2004, 19:01:30 »
Thanks for your advice, DORIS
Surprisingly enough, dahlias survive the winter in situ up here in NE Scotland! We discovered this by accident, and thought it was maybe just a fluke, but our neighbours did the same (silly) experiment and theirs were OK too! We had a long, cold winter (as usual!) from October to March, with temps down to -15C. Just shows you can be too kind to plants! However, since this is my first season of cannas, I think I'll follow your advice and take them indoors!

feet of clay

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2004, 19:35:05 »
I've grown dahlias from seed this year but one tuber from last year has survived - I couldn't be bothered with digging it up.  I was surprised cos I'm on cold wet clay in north Cheshire.  My Cannas from Parkers were pathetic and one is in the compost, three planted out and one sulking.  If the plants do anything then I might dig them up. (Saw magnificent Cannas in Christchurch Botanical Gardens in NZ. Wow!)

Wicker

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2004, 19:43:49 »
I used to leave dahlias in the ground (Edinburgh so a bit further south and usually mild) and they were o.k. but they a couple of years ago they didn't survive so now I lift them and put them in the g'house to be on the safe side.  Might try leaving one out this year to see what happens tho.

Re mail order plants, my OH has bought his fancy fuschias from Arcadia Nurseries for a while but this year about half have been duff - a couple having to be chucked and a few pretty poor.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2004, 19:46:26 by Wicker »
Equality isn't everyone being the same, equality is recognising that being different is normal.

georgiesgirl

• Quarter Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2004, 09:26:09 »
This year i got my perennial plug plants from Mr. Fothergills.They have been very good.I am trying Canna's for the first time,but will bring them into the greenhouse this Autumn.I dont think i would chance leaving Dahlias out over winter here in the Borders.
Regarding Parker's i gave up on them a long time ago.
Anne

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2004, 09:40:09 »
I used to get alot of my plants mail order with a few successes but mainly failures :(  The only real success was a standard hibiscus which has been going strong for a few years and getting better and better each year.

A friend sent off for some cleome plug plants this year, whereas I collected seeds from last year's plants.  Her plants have not done very well, hardly grown at all, but mine are lovely strong healthy plants with blooms ready to burst.  OK they may not come true from seed but there is always that element of surprise waiting to see what colours you get.

Re the cannas I have mine in a large pot which I bring into the greenhouse over winter.  Pleased to say, they have multiplied and I have some lovely beautiful tall plants with bronze leaves and hopefully gorgeous orange blooms soon.  I would add that I keep them well watered, apparently they cannot get enough water.

Pat

PS  There is quite a good site which has some useful info on cannas and other plants at http://www.canna-indica.nl/
« Last Edit: July 01, 2004, 09:49:04 by Gardengirl »
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Plocket

• Hectare
  • Clematis Crystal Fountain
    • Plocket's Clematis Site
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2004, 14:21:15 »
I have been reading all the postings with interest as I have today ordered my first ever mail order plants. From Thompson & Morgan. I will try to let you know what I think when they arrive.
The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing which stands in the way... (William Blake)

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2004, 22:59:06 »
I have been thinking about this thread, and receiving plants thru the mail, and realised that I get the most fantastic plants, seedlings and seeds mail order from a great company, my company of friends!  I have received alsorts over the last 18 months or so...Indian Bean Tree, Passion flowers, Hoyas, Orchids, cactus, palms, bulbs and seeds of many wonderful things, and they have all been packed with care and attention and survived their journey to bloom another day.  This sort of care comes from a true plant lover and a mate!  Expensive, worth their weight in gold!  ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2004, 13:09:24 »
Early on, I said that we had had this order from J. Parker and, like  other folk, had found it wanting. It was a Daily Telegraph 'offer'.

I spoke about it & they said 'it'll be OK on the day'. Well - all but one of 34 plants have died. Careless? Weather? Try something else!! They will be hearing from us again.

This is how one batch arrived.

I have to say that almost all our veg orders have been excellent - from Simpson's, Marshalls & Dobies. The occasional  hiccup has been put right without question. I'm just a little troubled by Victoriana's standards, nice folk as they are. = Tim

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 13:16:11 by tim »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal