Author Topic: Strawberry transplanting?  (Read 2985 times)

adamhill100

• Half Acre
Strawberry transplanting?
« on: June 28, 2004, 16:46:55 »
I would like to transplant my strawberry plants from my pots in the garden to the allotment... I think I have had most of the fruit but have a load of these new growths sprouting out of the sides with what looks like new plants on the end...I think these are called runners but am unsure how to go about the whole job if its even possible? Any advice would be great ..

Ad

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re:Strawberry transplanting?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2004, 16:56:35 »
It's dead simple. Peg the runner down into a pot (I use garden wire bent over like a hairpin, pushed around the stem leading to the parent plant). And they do the rest for you. Keep them watered and when they have rooted, cut them from the parent plant. I managed to increase my stock from six to nearly 40 last year by doing this.
gone to pot :D

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2004, 16:58:02 »
Thats great!  You do mean the new plant bit of the runner?  I presume this will shoot a root?

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 16:58:49 »
yes. and yes.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 17:03:07 »
Thats great news!  Was none too impressed with my crop from the pots and was jealous of all the other chaps crops up at the allotment...Thanks again.

Ad

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 17:12:51 »
Mine cropped badly last year. But this year I have loads. They always do better in the second year. The biggest and best fruits came off the older plants.

adamhill100

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 17:17:29 »
There I go again being impatient... I imagined filling bowls & bowls up this year.! I will say that my mum brought some shop bought strawberries over the other day and was not a patch on my home grown..

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 17:19:26 »
Nobody in our allotment complex roots the runners in pots. What is the advantage of doing it this way?

I take the nets away and clean the patch after fruiting (too hard to weed under the nets). I scratch the soil loose around the plants and guide the runners to the loose soil inbetween the plants, sometimes I help them stay in place by pegging the runner stem down. Then, in august I dig up the best baby plants with the best rootsystem, cut them loose from the motherplant and plant them where I want them for next year. I was told that the new plants should be in their permanent place by the 15th of august for the best harvest next season.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 17:59:59 »
I need to learn how to transplant and i ma well lost here????

the runners are these spear shaped things that shoot form the plant?

do I stick the speary end into some soil? or

do I cut the speary thing and push into sum ground?

If anyone can do diagram would be well grateful.....

some of mine are gowing red now... yummmy... tomoz I reckon... but only a few.... still will be first bite.... homegrown strawberries.... sounds well yummy... homegrown... yeah.. i like that...

babble alert

Oz  ;)

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2004, 18:44:21 »
Is this any help Ozz(art wasn't my best subject).Push the peg down so the new plant is more or less in the earth where it will form new roots.Then it can be seperated from the Mother plant.

[/img]
Earth fills her lap with treasures of her own.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2004, 18:53:50 »
Nice one BB

so I dont actually cut owt yet... just guide the speary (which on your drawing is flowers) into/onto towards the earth where it will form new roots????....

okay as I am growing in strawberry containers 6 to a pot..... after fruiting.. can I set up like a "runner bus depot"  where I can stage the runners into a load of compost filled plant pots?  will this work???... I made a nice planting table out of an old door.. and maybe can devote this to me strawberry's.. but what about winter etc.... nah never mind about winter yet.. one step at a time.....

cheers BB

Oz

:-* :-* :-*

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2004, 19:00:33 »
 :oyou got it in one Ozz.......me drawing cant be that bad .Not what me old Art teacher said.Runner Bus like the picture that springs to mind !but yes thats the right way.

Ozzy aka Pothead

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2004, 19:39:16 »
Yo BB

is what I shall do then..... get as many runners as I can then peg them down into plantpots... next year I is gonna be a strawberry baron.... which is a bit like a baccy baron in the nick... but with fruit and freedom... cry freeeedom baby...  :-*.. so I can name all me strawb runners after the buses here... cept the No 8.. is welll crap bus... in fact thinking about it wont name any of them after the bus routes..cus I want a good reliable crop....  But I shall name me first one after you BB.. cus u was dead quick on the old etchosketch... So its..... wait for fruits to ripen........ pick fruit.......... then move strawberry planters onto me potting table...........  and it is now a space station (far out) instead of a bus thingy............... . i feels more at home when we all go astral I does  ::) ::) .......then have the runners pegged down into other pots/lifepods........ bit like DS9.....  and when they is ready to go it alone..... disengage them from the mothership,,,,.... yep likeing it more already...  will do drawing and show u me grand designs when I can work out how...

cheers bb

oz

:-* :-* :-*
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 19:46:54 by Ozzy aka Pothead »

budgiebreeder

• Hectare
  • West Yorkshire.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2004, 20:25:52 »
 :D :D :D 8) Gee Ozz really .Golly Gosh never had the honour of having a Strawberry named after me 'afore.Hope i shall get an 'officil invitation to ya Garden Party for the Strawberry and Cream tea.With the obligatory Cider for drinks.Cant wait now you've got me all excited.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal