Author Topic: Cider from apple cores  (Read 2388 times)

Phil

• Not So New ...
Cider from apple cores
« on: October 15, 2007, 10:38:35 »
Has anyone ever made cider from apple cores?  I know you'd need to collect a lot of them but can it be done?

legendaryone

• Hectare
Re: Cider from apple cores
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 10:58:58 »
It would be possible, but you would need an awful lot of them. I don't own an apple press so i have been using my windfalls to make apple wine.
All those who believe in Telekinesis, Raise my hand.

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:14:56 »
Legendary could you post your apple wine recipe please, the one I used last year I was not very impressed with!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2007, 12:55:26 »
I reckon we eat about 10 apples a week in my household, that's 500 apple cores over the course of a year, I reckon that's equivalent to about 100-200 whole apples.  Should get a fair bit of apple juice from that!

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2007, 13:12:08 »
Hi Doris  :) you certainly can, its from C.J.J. Berrys book First steps in winemaking. I recommend you buy it if you can as it is very good.

This recipe does use a lot of apples !!

Apples (mixed windfalls) 24 pound (told you)
Sugar 3 pound for every gallon of liquid you get
Yeast and nutrient
Water 1 gallon

Chop apples into small pieces, put into bin with yeast and nutrient and water. The water will not cover the apples.
Leave for about a week stirring daily bringing the apples from the bottom to the top. Keep bin covered and in a warm place.
Strain the juice from the pulp, press the juice from the apple also.
Add 3 pounds of sugar to every gallon of juice. Place into fermenting vessel and fit an airlock, rack when it has cleared. ready to drink in 6 months but improves if left for a year.
If eating apples are to be used add a pound a crab apples for every 10 pound of eaters.

From my experience chop the apples small, i chopped them into eighths and found it hard to stir them, chopping them into sixteenths would make it easier. Also i had to put the apples into two bins again to make it easier to stir.

There is another apple recipe which uses just 6 pound of apples, if you would like that posted just ask  :)

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2007, 13:14:10 »
I reckon we eat about 10 apples a week in my household, that's 500 apple cores over the course of a year, I reckon that's equivalent to about 100-200 whole apples.  Should get a fair bit of apple juice from that!

Well if you have an apple press and don't mind waiting a year i don't see why it wouldn't be possible.

You will have to post back with your progress  :)

Phil

• Not So New ...
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007, 12:17:25 »
I will indeed, hopefully the hard work will be worth it!

SueSteve

• Acre
  • 08/07/07
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:39:12 »
I recently started wine making, I bought the Berry book from my local wine and beer making shop, they said that Berry is great, but never add any more than 2Lb of sugar per gallon as the yeasts were better nowadays.
Sue
Lottie at Upton St Leonards, Gloucester
Lottie owner since 11th April 2007.
Still in the plot   36 Leeks, 1x rows parsnips, 2x  rows chard, psb, broccoli, 5 rows garlic, 1 row swede, lots of onions - started in rows, but the birds had them and now they are random!!

legendaryone

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 07:40:51 »
I recently started wine making, I bought the Berry book from my local wine and beer making shop, they said that Berry is great, but never add any more than 2Lb of sugar per gallon as the yeasts were better nowadays.

Thats interesting, i'll try that next time  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal