Author Topic: Preserving gourds?  (Read 1008 times)

silly billy

• Acre
Preserving gourds?
« on: October 15, 2007, 09:40:51 »
Has anyone had any success in preserving gourds? I don't mean for consumption I mean as a display.OH wants a display of some of the small gourds we have grown this year. I have been told to varnish them but am unsure if this will work. Any tips please.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
Re: Preserving gourds?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2007, 20:17:53 »
Leave them to dry naturally like you would a squash or pumpkin to form a hard skin. There is no need to varnish them unless you want a shiny surface, infact I think a varnish might even encourage them to rot from the inside by trapping moisture inside, far better to let them dry naturally by leaving them in an airy place not touching each other so they thoroughly dry out.
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

umshamrock

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 19:42:20 »
varnishing works (we use this for thanksgiving decorations in america) but they last for ages if you just let them dry anyway
"How inappropriate to call this planet Earth,
             when clearly it is Ocean"
                             - Arthur C. Clarke

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007, 20:25:08 »
And if you varnish them you cant compost them  ;)

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 11:38:28 »
Looks like there is no need for me to varnish them. Thanks for the advice much appreciated.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal