Author Topic: Can someone advise me please?  (Read 1643 times)

purpleangelxxx

• Not So New ...
Can someone advise me please?
« on: October 06, 2007, 10:00:44 »
Hi,

I'm getting my new plot today (I was supposed to get it last week  but it was delayed by a week)

I have aquired some vegetable plants and want to know if it is too late to plant them?

They are spring cabbage, cauliflower, calabrase and runner beans. ( I know it's ok to plant the runner beans but not sure about the others)

I could easily pop they on to new plot today as it is a blank canvas (it has just been built)

Also, I have brought a soil testing kit after advice from you guys. what would be an ideal soil type?  I am intending to rotate four main beds of brassicas, roots, lagumes and alliums

Hope someone can advise me!

Thanks

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Can someone advise me please?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2007, 10:15:38 »
No, it is not too late to plant them. I would only worry abotu transpanting overwintering Brassicas once we are into November and then I would delay transplanting until spring and put them in a cold frame or plastic greenhouse in cells.  Brassicas tend to like a slightly alkaline soil - don't know the ins and outs of using lime because I am on limestone so it isn't a problem here - scabby potatoes are however. ::)
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

silly billy

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2007, 11:38:21 »
I'm pretty sure its too late to plant out runner beans now mine are looking like they are on their last legs.
My idea was to build Liverpool into a bastion of invincibility. Napoleon had that idea. He wanted to conquer the bloody world. I wanted Liverpool to be untouchable. My idea was to build Liverpool up and up until eventually everyone would have to submit and give in. Bill Shankly.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2007, 11:50:02 »
Regarding your soil test have a look in here http://tinyurl.com/3dxfao

Follow the the related links for more info!

I hope it helps but as a general rule a pH of 6.5 to 7.0 is just fine

glosterwomble

• Hectare
  • Gloucester - The South West
    • Fork it...a Gloucester allotment
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2007, 12:31:09 »
I'm pretty sure its too late to plant out runner beans now mine are looking like they are on their last legs.

I agree, runner beans go in during springtime so that you get beans towards the middle/end of summer. I'm still sorting spring cabbage, just about to put in over wintering / Japanese onions, garlic, broad beans and peas to overwinter.  :P

It's exciting to get a new plot that is a blank canvas, lucky you, enjoy it!!   ;D
View my blog on returning a totally
 overgrown plot in Gloucester
 into a productive allotment ... http://fork-in-hell.blogspot.com/

purpleangelxxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2007, 12:35:12 »
Sorry silly billy,

they are broad beans not runner beans!

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2007, 20:32:52 »
Purple Angel Congratulations on your new lottie
Nice feeling isn't it?  ;D
I bet your head is spinning with all kinds of plans.  ::)
I wish you well with your lottie.

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

purpleangelxxx

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 11:21:36 »

My head is spinning! I have drawn up a plan of what I want and where, I am unsure of what to do about the paths. Do I just leave them as soil?

I have been informed that there are signs of rabbits on our new allotments!!

Do you think a fleece cloche will keep them off for now? Or would it be best to put up some sore of chick wire?

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 12:07:17 »
Get some wire in! ... congratulations on your new plot...  ;D

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 14:39:49 »
advice for your paths - don't leave them as soil! they will soon get overgrown! There are lots of ways to cover them -  woodchips although they can be a bit messy, old carpet, that grow-mesh stuff, some people even sow lawn seeds but you'll need a mower. Personally I am going to lift the carpet I have now and put down a layer of cardboard and some wooden terracing squares that I picked up dirt cheap.
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 17:06:43 »
when we started we used old compost bags, cut lengthways and covered with wood chips, some had old carpet on, some had thick cardboard, weed control and wood chips on..whatever you do, cover them up  ;D
we even used some old rubber car mats at one time  ;D

STEVEPARTRIDGE

• Half Acre
    • MY ALLOTMENTS DIARY
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 19:16:29 »
Congratulations Purpleangelxxx on getting your plot, it wil be much easier for you having a blank canvas to work on, regarding your paths I would recommend using a woven weed control fabric which you can see on my website, the reason for this is that if you put down plastic it will be quite slippery and not let the water/rain through, if you use grass then you have to keep cutting it and it can get quite boggy during wet weather, using bark chips is ok but they will need replenishing fairly often and will still allow weeds to grow, whatever you decide good luck with your plot. All the plants that you have been given are worth putting in now, it might be too late for the Cauliflower & Calabrese but if the weather stays mild then it might be ok. With all the plants you mention except for the Broad Beans they like the soil to be firmed down well before planting, regarding the best PH level for your crops most things will grow ok if the PH is between 6 and 7, all the best Steve.

http://www.myallotments.com

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 20:38:18 »
Winter is coming, concentrate on your plot. Put any old thing you can lay your hands on for the paths just now. Come spring you'll have longer days and more time to plan a more permanent walkway. Just make sure you can get a barrow down it for now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal