Author Topic: Amazing nature  (Read 2016 times)

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Amazing nature
« on: October 07, 2007, 23:00:06 »
As I posted before about pondweed brought back by my dog.....(instead of a stick).

There is now living in the bucket 'Dave' the leech, and possibly another MUCH smaller one. Several water snails and recently appeared.....water fleas!

The only food they have had up yo 3 weeks ago was the algae on the pondweed. Since then I have dropped in the odd bit (tiny bit) of lean mince, thats 2 bits in 3 weeks.

'Dave' really goes for it even though leeches suck blood from live donors, he is growing. The snails have their feast too.

I just found it amazing that soooo much survives on one wee bit of weed, lives and thrives.

Aint nature stunning :D :D

I need money to get the pond finished so they can all be in sustainable surroundings :-[

I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

theothermarg

• Hectare
  • Yate near Bristol UK
Re: Amazing nature
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007, 21:34:37 »
have you noticed whatever mankind does to a place when it gets abandoned
nature moves in and reclaims it !! yes amazing nature
marg
Tell me and I,ll forget
Show me and I might remember
Involve me and I,ll understand

star

• Hectare
  • Northampton, sm greenhouse, heated propagator
Re: Amazing nature
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007, 21:47:26 »
Absolutely, I wish I was better at not having bare soil through the winter too, but cash flow has inhibited green manure purchases.

I picked up leaves from the paths today and put them on the log piles....only to find my dearly beloved removed them as he thought they looked untidy. I never think the woodland looks untidy (we back onto woodland).

I was hoping for thatch on the wood for some insulation and protection.......hehe, there are another 3 trees in green leaf still waiting to drop. I wont tell him! ;)

But yes, she never ceases to amaze me ;)
I was born with nothing and have most of it left.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal