Author Topic: October Fuchsias  (Read 4425 times)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
Re: October Fuchsias
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2007, 20:44:39 »
Hmmm. I've just checked with Shoot and they say it is Hardy (H4).  Anyone else any thoughts?

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2007, 10:16:55 »
Glad to hear it Georgie :) Looks like I was given the wrong information when I purchased Carmel Blue >:(  I don't think my blue one in the garden is CB though as it is not as clear blue as CB.
Happy gardening all...........Pat

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2007, 10:29:11 »
I would err on the side of caution with Carmel Blue...when I looked at your pictures G I remembered I had that one and immediately thought that it isn't hardy. I lost mine...that may have been because of something I've done but I definitely remember the "destructions" saying it wasn't hardy.  Confusing. Sometimes I wonder if they only put that on the label to cover their bottom?! Maybe it depends where you are in the country too?

Lovely fuchsias. I bought "Hawkeshead"  this year.  It looked very whippy and a bit rubbish when I got it but I adored the delicate white flowers. Bunged it in a pot and it has shaped up pretty well and is flowering. I'll go take a picture. Been very cold here overnight lately but it seems okay. Might move it closer to the house in a couple of weeks.  Right, shall go and take a snap right now.

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2007, 10:53:21 »
That wasn't as easy as I'd thought...bit of a windy day out there!

Okay I've had to sharpen the picture up a bit but I think you can see what a lovely little fuschia it is.

Can anyone identify the one in the last picture? Had it for years but I can't rememeber it's name. It got a hammering last Spring...completely covered in aphids,luckily I had already taken cuttings the previous year and have two more plants.

Bluey

• Not So New ...
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2007, 10:58:09 »
Any advice on how to look after Carmel blue over the next few months? First time of growing fuschias... Its currently in a pot on the patio next to the house.
Gardening Rule: When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it. If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2007, 11:45:30 »
Mary 3 of the 4 cuttings that you had started in water have survivesd (Thank you)
I think I mentioned to you when I visited that the Dawn Star didn't survive. Probably me. As you know Charlie was brilliant with cuttings but I have lost several of his plants. Just ain't got green fingers but I keep trying.Lorna

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2007, 13:40:28 »
Now I'm really confused -CB hardy or non-hardy :-\

Heldi, could your unidentified one be Beacon. If you look at the photo of my Beacon on page 1, it looks very similar right down to the darker leaves.

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2007, 16:36:35 »
Lorna, have you got any of Dawn Star, at all.  Mary.

lorna

• Hectare
  • March. Cambridgeshire
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2007, 17:38:26 »
No Mary, I am sorry to say, but will purchse again next year. I do really like it.
Lorna.

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2007, 20:44:39 »
That wasn't as easy as I'd thought...bit of a windy day out there!

Okay I've had to sharpen the picture up a bit but I think you can see what a lovely little fuschia it is.

Can anyone identify the one in the last picture? Had it for years but I can't rememeber it's name. It got a hammering last Spring...completely covered in aphids,luckily I had already taken cuttings the previous year and have two more plants.

I love Hawkeshead, Heldi.  Ninnyscrops is going to send me some.   ;D  I agree with Gardengirl that the other one looks like Beacon.  It's one I grow and very reliable it is too. 

Bluey the jury seems to be out on whether Carmel Blue is Hardy or not.  Mine are in pots and they will be kept in a sheltered place over winter.  You could always wrap yours in fleece or bubblewrap if frost is threatened or pop it in a cold frame if you have one.

G x
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Heldi

• Hectare
  • Run away! Run away !
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2007, 11:54:49 »
Beacon it is then! Have to agree with GG it does look very much like the one in her picture.

I asked on the Beeb board about Carmel Blue. Two replies, both saying it isn't hardy but one goes on to say it can probably survive winter outside in milder areas. So yes,shelter,fleece,bubblewrap seems to be the way to go.

GREENWIZARD

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2007, 14:01:07 »
i like fushias....thanks for posting peeps ;D
ALL PHOTOGRAPHS ARE COPYRIGHT

Gardengirl

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2007, 16:42:02 »
Just to throw a spanner in the works :o  I was cleaning out my shed today and came across the label for Carmel Blue.  Quote "Minimum temperature 12 degrees C. Protect from frost".  I suppose from that info it would be wise to do as Heldi says :)

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2007, 20:36:24 »
I wonder if there is more than one variety of Fuchsia known as Carmel Blue?  The temperature here dropped to about 3 degrees last night but mine were fine when I checked them tonight.  They are in pots on the patio but have no protection as such (yet).

G x

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007, 13:50:02 »
Fuchsia magic say Carmel Blue is semi hardy, and there's a US site that say they will withstand temps down to 10 - 20 deg F http://www.nwfuchsiasociety.com/hardies/hardyfuchsias.htm
I'd be careful with it though, have found that its the combination of cold & wet that really kills them off quick. Lost my Lottie Hobby last year due to that - the new one is coming in this year  ;D

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2007, 18:05:24 »
Thanks Jenny.  In that case I think I'll put the pots against the south facing wall under the Jasmine which is pretty sheltered and almost in rain shadow.  (There is simply not enough room in the mini greenhouse.) I'll cut them back by half when they have finished flowering, stand them on pot feet and have some fleece at the ready if we have a cold snap.  How's that for TLC?   ;D

G x

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal