Author Topic: summer squash or courgettes?  (Read 1151 times)

adrianhumph

• Acre
  • Camberley, Surrey.
summer squash or courgettes?
« on: October 17, 2007, 16:01:36 »
 Hi all  :D,
                   I was just wandering about growing summer squash, in particular Pattison Orange patty pans, instead of courgettes next year. According to The Real Seed Co, they are cooked just like a courgette with a richer nuttier flavour.
 Any body got any advice or experience of them? Are they as prolific as courgettes?
                            Adrian.

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: summer squash or courgettes?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2007, 16:14:53 »
No but I've considered trying some next year!
 :-\

froglets

• Hectare
  • "Chust sublime"
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2007, 16:43:10 »
Me too!, better get my order in before you lot   ;)
is it in the sale?
(South Cheshire)

Rosyred

• Hectare
  • West London
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 18:43:04 »
I grew white patty pans but as it was the first year and weather was a bit iffy but I found them to produced later than courgettes and didn't get that many but the store very well.

Eristic

• Hectare
  • NW London (Brent)
    • Down the Plot
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 21:05:36 »
I grew the Pattison Orange for the first time this year and apart from them being yellow they taste lovely. Yield though was not good but then nor was the weather. The courgettes thrashed the squash for yield by about 7:1 but I would not one a suitable substitute for the other. Courgettes are handy to peel, bash and tip in the slow cooker instead of water or stock.

The squash seem to need that extra bit of heat early in the season for the plants to mature and fruit. Mine all started setting fruit very late in the season but I hope to have better results next year.

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2007, 23:35:16 »
I have two green pattypan plants still giving me fruit, albeit not very large as it's probably not really warm enough any more. One of them was self-sown, but I can't figure out where it came from as this is my first year growing them and I only had one plant to start with!

I think I prefer courgettes - I grow them successfully in pots but the pattypans are huge plants - far too big for a pot, methinks!

Tricia

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2007, 23:50:16 »
I grew yellow pattypans this year (right - I think that must be all possible colours now?) and the yield was quite high.

The fruits are staying small now, probably because it's end of season. But I'm still picking a few each week.

I found them tastier than courgettes

as for peeling - no need because they're soft, but then I would never peel a courgette so perhaps that's a matter of taste.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal