Author Topic: Marina di Chioggia - ready to harvest? (some pics)  (Read 9310 times)

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
Marina di Chioggia - ready to harvest? (some pics)
« on: October 07, 2007, 13:26:14 »
I'm not sure if my Marina di Chioggia are ready to harvest. The stalk has turned partially woody and the skin feels quite hard but they aren't as bumpy as pictures on seed catalogues show them to be. Will they develop bumpier skin after harvest? The leaves are yellowing as shown in the pic. I don't want to leave them at the lottie too long, as many people had their pumpkins stolen last year before Halloween.  :-\

Suzanne

• Hectare
  • sun is shining
Re: Marina di Chioggia - ready to harvest? (some pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2007, 16:22:57 »
I don't think they will go wartier than they already are. If the skin is hard and they sound hollow when you tap them, then they should be close to harvest now I would have thought. My squashes which I harvested on thursday as we had ground frost forecast (didn't happen though), looked similar to yours with the vines dying back. I have pu them in the conservatory for a few weeks to make certain.

If Jeannine is around she probably has the greatest squash knowledge on the site.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2007, 17:37:09 »
Thanks Suzanne. :) I tapped the fruits and they sound hollow and the skin is very hard too.

I harvested other squash a few weeks ago. I might have harvested them too early... the temptation was too great! ::) I've just posted the pictures on Veggie Show (I started off 2007 Squash thread). It would be nice to see yours there, Suzanne!  ;D

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 15:39:05 »
If the vines are dying back they're not going to get any bigger. You need to sit them in the sun for a few days at least afterwards to harden the skin.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 17:55:33 »
Thanks Kea. :) I will harvest them next time I go to the allotment. I'm a bit worried now after reading the pumpking shortage thread! :-\

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 13:05:55 »
I got about seven Marina di Chioggia squashes from my three plants. The first two to appear ended up suitably warty, but the others are still relatively smooth - or at least they were a week or so ago, when I last visited the allotment. It will be interesting to see how they fare in the eating stakes (apart from being smaller).

David R

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2007, 14:04:04 »
Harvested some 2 weeks ago, and also some straglers a few days ago. Should be fine, get them in before frosts otherwise they will turn into mush!

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2007, 15:38:16 »
Thank you both! :) I'm going to harvest them as soon as I can. I don't want them to turn into mush! I will probably make Marina di Chioggia mash though. :D

Valentine, I got three big ones plus a small one from two plants. Perhaps two fruits per plant is the average yield? I'm so chuffed with them, can't wait to taste them! ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2007, 21:28:15 »
This is my first year growing them and I've one on each plant. They're not that warty either. I'm looking forward to trying them.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 12:00:15 »
This is my first year growing them too, pigeonseed. :) I heard it's one of the best flavoured winter squash. I also read it's often eaten in Venice, grilled with olive oil and rosemary... :P I'm going to try as many recipes as I can with mine. ;D

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 21:19:09 »
grilled with olive oil and rosemary sounds nice and simple so i think we'll try it.

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 21:26:38 »
I cut the two marinas today, not sure when first frost might come and ruin them. We ate the smallish one as suggested by tora - grilled slices with olive oil then sprinkled salt and rosemary on the slices.

it was SOOO DELICIOUS!

They really are tasty and the salt and rosemary is perfect. They didnt take as long to grill as I'd feared either - I'd say 10-15 mins.

I can still taste it. gorgeous.

Tora

• Hectare
  • Gravesend, Kent
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2007, 10:06:15 »
Glad to hear grilled Marina di Chioggia was gorgeous! ;D

I've finally harvested 3 fruits and left one on the plant as it looked immature.

The red ruler in the pic is 16cm long. Tokyo kabocha look dwarfed by Marina di Chioggia! I think I need to hold a party when I cook one of the fruits - it's so big, I don't think just two of us can eat it all!

valentinelow

• Quarter Acre
    • 'One Man And His Dig' blog
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 10:34:58 »
Pigeonseed, when you grilled your Marina di C what exactly did you do? Did you grill them with the skin on, and cut it off when they were cooked? Or was it easy to hack off when it was raw?
I have about four fruit of varying size to get through, and the largest ones look as if they are going to be really tough...
Val

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007, 23:56:00 »
I didnt peel them and actually the skin was soft after cooking. so i ate it.

But I hadn't cured it or whatever you call it when you leave the skin to get hard so it stores. maybe that's why.

if the skin is too hard, just nibble up to it like you would with a slice of melon?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal